WAG shape while jumping from low to high bar.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

munchkin3

Proud Parent
We are having a debate on the shape of the body once the gymnast jumps from the low to the high bar.
Assuming the body isn't crazy arched when the gymnast makes contact with the high bar, and the routine is fluid and form good...
Can there be a deduction if you jump and are not hollow, or is there a small amount of arch that's OK?
I know too much arch is bad- but how much is too much??

It should look like this. No arch.

Attachments

• IMG_0254.PNG
    IMG_0254.PNG
    393.7 KB · Views: 377
Yes, there is a deduction. they should be hollow and should actually jump, not fall forward and grasp the bar as I've seen many do. "Failure to maintain hollow body position between low bar and high bar. Up to -.20."

Is there a deduction for transitioning too quickly from low to high bar? Not as a result of lack of balance but a nice, quick and fluid "kip/squat on/stand up/jump to high bar".

Is there a deduction for transitioning too quickly from low to high bar? Not as a result of lack of balance but a nice, quick and fluid "kip/squat on/stand up/jump to high bar".
No, as long as the gymnast is in control, no deduction for being quick. It should move fluidly with no pause. There is a deduction for moving too slowly, up to 0.1 for hesitation on jump from low to high bar.

My DD has never been a strong bar worker, but I think one of her relative strengths is how quickly flowing/connected her routines are. I definitely think it helps her score.

Ok, so she should be hollow -or at worst, straight......but best with no arch at all.
Just to know. Certainly at this point I’m not going to be telling her coaches or her anything, but I like to know where the deductions might come from.

The concept of having a solid but smooth glide kip to start off the routine also applies to the second half of the routine on the high bar; jumping from the floor to the low bar is technically identical to jumping from the low bar to the high bar. In fact, jumping to the high rail is easier! This is because the gymnast does not even have to pike to avoid the floor. This hollow curled shape also sets them up for a good long hang kip cast, too.

An arched shape does not exist in a glide kip or long hang kip. Excessive arch can also cause the momentum of the swing to unload too quickly in the wrong direction, causing the gymnast to peel. It's a safety issue!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back