Parents Sharp's home raided last night

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I almost mentioned yesterday that his photography business (for children, primarily gymnasts) was oddly linked to his team website, but it sorta made my skin crawl, and it felt gratuitouss.

I had no idea.

There are so many red flags to look for. And predators also know what to look for to groom.

Our gym has a prefer you don't watch policy. No one gets booted out.

My kid would not be anywhere where I couldn't pop in, not preschool, gym, school, music, camp. And she is certainly not going on overnight without me or a plan with chaperones, I am comfortable with.

Responsible adults, be they teachers, coaches, clergy, counselors have open doors and plans to not be alone with minors.

This makes my heart hurt and beyond livid.

Reactions: sce
So sad for the girls involved, I hope they get the support they need to recover. And as sce said so grateful that we have an open door policy when it comes to watching practices.

I almost mentioned yesterday that his photography business (for children, primarily gymnasts) was oddly linked to his team website, but it sorta made my skin crawl, and it felt gratuitouss.

I had no idea.

Strawberries this is not directed at you in any way but rather your points.

Found it odd, sorta made skin crawl, gratuitous. We need to teach our kids to pay attention to their icky's. And we need to do the same.

Love the book Protecting The Gift, by Gavin DeBecker.

Was there a "no parent watching allowed" policy in place at this gym? Does anyone know? I'm just curious.

I'd think it's rare for parents to watch entire practices once they exceed 2.5 hours in length, so not sure an open veiwing situation could prevent things like this anyways, but I'm still curious in this case what the policy was.

Again, my kid would not be going on closed photo shoots, to meets with a coach much less a connecting room by herself. I freaking even get the undies thing for meets. Practice though, tough crap about panty lines.

I am sure there were red flags. And power and promises of "success" is quite the seducer.

Again, freaking makes me livid.

Reactions: sce
There are so many things about this that make me sad, angry, confused, and just downright scared. This does nothing to help this sport either. When someone who was so obviously respected as a coach does something so heinous, how are parents supposed to trust their children in these environments.

As a photographer myself, just looking at the images he has on his website, I don't understand why any parent would want those (because they're just not good photos), but knowing why he was taking them literally has made my stomach hurt.

I would love to believe that my daughter is in safe hands (and I truly think she is) but I'm certain that these parents felt the same way about him. I feel so bad for the families in the gym and the community. His name is on the gym, those poor employees who are likely reeling from this news. Just so sad and shocking all around.

I agree it is so very sad and disgusting. I know of at least one high level gymnast (very successful Hopes) whose parents work full time (to pay for the very expensive gymnastics!) so she often travels with just coaches. Now, I believe they are female coaches but I can't imagine it's that uncommon at high levels??? Sad that it's even an issue.

There are bad people every where. But this man, if it is true and I am guessing it is, giving the searches and the stealth sweeping on of them, is a predator, who misused his "respect" as a coach to groom and seduce. And it's not just the child but the parents, types like this prey on. The best thing you can do make sure your child is not vulnerable.

That means, things like knowing and respecting their boundaries. Adults don't ask you to keep secrets. It's Ok to say No, to things and touches that make you uncomfortable and are inappropriate. NO.ADULT. And tell, tell, tell.

Again, I can not recommend Protecting The Gift, enough.

There are bad people every where. But this man, if it is true and I am guessing it is, giving the searches and the stealth sweeping on of them, is a predator, who misused his "respect" as a coach to groom and seduce. And it's not just the child but the parents, types like this prey on. The best thing you can do make sure your child is not vulnerable.

That means, things like knowing and respecting their boundaries. Adults don't ask you to keep secrets. It's Ok to say No, to things and touches that make you uncomfortable and are inappropriate. NO.ADULT. And tell, tell, tell.

Again, I can not recommend Protecting The Gift, enough.

This is definitely good advice and I practice it with my children, BUT as someone with "victim" experience (NOT from my coach), it just isn't enough. Predators are just so good at convincing children that they shouldn't tell because whatever reason (if you love your mom you won't tell, etc...)! I have no idea what the answer is and I wish I did!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back