Shawn Johnson injured skiing

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

This thread is diverging but what the heck... It's not everyday that I get to talk gymnastics and skiing (my two favorite sports) in the same breath and with people who can relate to both. So, bribri and gymgurl, thanks for bring this thread back. Oh, bribri, FWIW, most HS racing programs are very different than USSA/FIS.

I don't know if I care for what Bode used to stand for (as least with the way the press portraited him) but I have to say he is quite an athlete. He has pulled off some of the most spectacular recoveries. Just unmatched pure skill and strength.

Also, notice how his whole outlook towards life changed during the Olympics when he turned focus on being an upcoming father (versus partying out the night before). It didn't do too much for his performance but as a parent (and a father) that was quite a moment to watch.

With regard to celebrity status, OMG, world class skiers are so cool. They are the most personable when compared to pretty much all other celebrities. They are frequently roaming around us regular people. They are found often in camps and other events skiing with kids even while they are training (no special scheduled showing). It just blew my younger daughter's mind when she met Tommy Moe (a multi gold medalist Olympian) at a meet and greet. Tommy came up to us, shook my hand with a "hi, I'm Tommy" and started talking to my then 9yo with a big smile. No line to form, no hiding behind signing table, no body guards, no sign and run, etc. My daughter's comment was "he didn't look like a famous person" (referring to a Hannah Mantanna M&G just weeks before that). I have similar things with pretty much all other top level skiers.

Btw, my older gymnast pulled off a mini version of Bode near-crash at a race last season. I think I never recovered after that because my heart jumped out so far. In a GS run, she came around a tight blue ice turn at the top of a steep headwall, laying it down with butt almost touching snow, inside ski caught an edge, outside ski skidded out and went way up in the air. Instead of a bad crash, she fought the turn by bringing the outside ski back down and skied on with minimal time loss. It was quite a sight to watch for a female skier (boy skiers are much much crazier). Everyone, including her coach said that if it wasn't for her gymnast strength and agility, the crash would have been disasterous.

Last edited:
ohmygosh i love bode! he is so cute in that really bad boy way. i helped my mom volunteer at the world cup races as a kid and met him once. squee!!

noooo Im sooo jealous. Mind he is far too young for me :D

i totally feel the same way gymnut! sorry if we're a little off topic but it is cool to talk skiing and gym at the same time. and lol, but in regards to bode, he's probably way too old for me. oh well!

my high school had a ski team but most of the actual comp. skiiers did ussa racing for team summit or ski club vail. in a way it's a lot like gymnastics. the most competitive kids are on separate club teams, while the hs teams are a little more recreational. from what i understand that's the opposite from a lot of sports.

actually at my old gym the team was given 2nd priority to the freestyle skiing and snowboarding team who came in to learn tricks. only in co i guess! but yeah there is quite a bit in common.

and as far as meeting skiers and snowboarders, my mom just loves all the pro skiers she meets or knows. i live in the same town that holds the x-games so when they come through every year a lot of the freestyle guys come through, a lot are really great and down to earth, some (like tanner hall and shawn white) not so much. also, a lot like gymnastics i bet!

oh yeah, one last thing. how does your daughter find time for ski racing and gym? that's pretty incredible! all the ski racers i know spend as much time training as high level gymmies.

I've not skied (though I'd love to try!), but listening to Olympic commentators makes me want to avoid moguls. I lost count of how many blown knees, knee surgeries, and head injuries the athletes needed.

Yeah, world class mogul skiers are the extremes when it comes to knee injuries. Bumps (especially the ones in the East because they are much firmer) are extremely tough on the knees at that level (but what isn't). Although, the thighs/quads on these guys/gals are amazingly strong. Just imagine the kind of pounding at that speed for that long of a duration (something like vault after vault). Not to mention the quad burns due to the extension and flexion!

I stink at bumps but I love to "ski" them because I see them as a challenge. Some of my best days are spending time on soft and small bumps. Like most things, it's important to learn to do it right and to start out slow. And, in my case, it stays being slow.

With you gals already young, athletic and strong, you can rip them up in no time regardless of the terrain you choose. That is, once you get over the mental thing often brought on by stereotype. To me, the best thing about a thing like skiing is the time one gets to casually spend with friends and family members. In fact, I've heard in Austria, skiing is more seen as a socializing scheme than a sport.

oh yeah, one last thing. how does your daughter find time for ski racing and gym? that's pretty incredible! all the ski racers i know spend as much time training as high level gymmies.
Let's just say, we have very busy winters.

She is just started L8 and is a second year J3. At these levels, although not easy, she can still afford to straddle. Each week, we choose one day of each to skip. Normal gym practice is 4 days and ski training is 5.

The hardest thing is in our region the two core seasons collide. OTOH, the upside is the overlap is only about 2 months long.

What also has made it possible so far is the understanding of our coaches on both sides. Our gym is unusually supportive (or permissive) in our gymnasts pursuing other sports and activities on the side.

To be frank, this luxury to split time may have to end after this upcoming season. The best case would be to focus on one and still do the other more leisurely. I hate to see her quit either altogether.

Shawn just tweeted this: OH & for all of u gymnastics fans out there... Progressing in training! Caught my yaeger & gienger today! Working on some crazy NEW things! :D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back