Welcome to our Gymnastics Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Shawn Johnson - New World Champ!

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GymnastRaeRae87

I love Shawn!! She is so awesome! I love how you can tell she is enjoying herself while she is competing! GO SHAWN!

MartinaE

Mar 14, 2007
Germany
She totally deserved to win this title! :) She did a great job on saving her straight back in the tumble series on beam, and otherwise she was the most flawless gymnast of the field!
Well, yesterday she fell off beam twice and finished last, but she came back immediately to win floor over Alicia!!!
Alicia was majorly disappointed though...

L

LasswadeCoach

I have been informed ( i dont know if it was correctly or not!! lol!) That China did not allow their Beijing team to come out of training and do worlds, apparently that is their RESERVE team, if it is USA better watch out, because their reserve team were pretty amazing!!

Im so pleased for Shawn, she really is such a good gymnast, a little character to!!

audra

Coach & Mom
CB Booster Club
Verified Coach
Proud Parent
Feb 5, 2006
Wisconsin
If that is the case I think it is a big mistake on China's part, they tend to choke in big competitions. Getting their strongest gymnasts as much international experience should be there goal. The level and technique of their gymnastics is never what holds them off the podium it is the pressure and the mistakes they make in big competitions. Good luck to them but I think the USA will do awesome regardless of who China brings!

MartinaE

Mar 14, 2007
Germany
I actually don`t think it was a reserve team at all. I think they tested out some new seniors to give them the experience of a big competition and see how they would do in such a situation and when being put under pressure.
I really wouldn`t think Cheng Fei was not planned for the Olympics next year. ;)

Ingymmom

Jul 12, 2007
China did not allow their Beijing team to come out of training and do worlds, apparently that is their RESERVE team, if it is USA better watch out, because their reserve team were pretty amazing!!

Marta's response to the mention that China did not bring their strongest team to Worlds was

"Maybe we have some good ones at home too,"

I have to agree with Marta, there is a LOT of talent still here in the US. Here is the article link...

http://www.latimes.com/sports/olympics/la-sp-gym10sep10,1,5912173.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-olympics

L

LasswadeCoach

Oh no im not saying the US dont have amazing talent, i was totally impressed with their gymnasts, i particularly love the way they stick the landings on everything, and take their release catches on bars just that little bit higher - so beautiful

Cheng Fei was the only one I found strange, but she is getting older now, and she wasn't as good, but what happend to Fan Ye, Li Ya, PanPan Pang, Xiao Ping etc etc, surely they didnt just dissapear!

I think the olympics will definitley be between China and the USA for gold, but as much as i love the American gymnasts I'd love to see China win for once :( its such ashame, they often make mistakes and that is kinda their own fault! but whenever they hit it just right, theyre robbed of the medal, take kui yuan yuan at the 96' beam finals for example!!! I just think it would be great for them to get it for once!

MartinaE

Mar 14, 2007
Germany
Ah, that`s another story for what Marta said then.....that then sure is true about China. ;)

Pang Panpan was coming back from injury. She actually was in Stuttgart with the team but ended up being the alternate...
And Li Ya is injured unfortunately.

Fan Ye competed at the Cottbus World Cup this year in March and won beam.

Status
Not open for further replies.