Parents She got her KIP!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm not sure any new gymnastics skill is ever as exciting as getting the kip! In upper levels, it's a big deal when they flip their first vault onto a mat (yurchenko or tsuk). Of course, that's years in the making, but still exciting - and scary! - the first time you see them do it.
I still don’t understand why it’s such a big deal skill? I mean obviously it takes a lot of strength to get it but it doesn’t look nearly as impressive as some other skills but I know very little about gymnastics

I still don’t understand why it’s such a big deal skill? I mean obviously it takes a lot of strength to get it but it doesn’t look nearly as impressive as some other skills but I know very little about gymnastics

I think maybe because it’s the first big bars skill they ‘take’ with them through the levels? You can’t do bars above level 3 if you can’t kip and you kip in every level 4-10.
It doesn’t look *wow* maybe but my mind is boggled just thinking of the mechanics of a kip. But I am generally not very coordinated :D

Let us know how long it takes you :p:D:p:D:p:D

Reactions: sce

The timing is tricky. Plenty of fearless, naturally athletic kids who pick up tumbling easily struggle with the kip.

The FHS vault over the table is one of the next big skills they get and caused much anxiety among our L4 parents. (Not "when will my Suzy get over the table?" anxiety, but "please, Suzy, don't crash!" anxiety, especially at the first meet when we had never seen them go over the table before.) From the parental perspective, it is the first really scary skill they will perform.

Re. competing the kip in L3, in our state it is not uncommon, and many of the top routines at the state meet will include a perfect straight-arm kip.

It's not about being impressive, it is a foundational skill though. It will be used for the rest of their time in gymnastics. I think for the gymnasts it is a milestone skill, as it is very different form the skills that come before it.

I think maybe because it’s the first big bars skill they ‘take’ with them through the levels? You can’t do bars above level 3 if you can’t kip and you kip in every level 4-10.
It doesn’t look *wow* maybe but my mind is boggled just thinking of the mechanics of a kip. But I am generally not very coordinated :D
Yes! At first glance it doesn’t look hard because they make everything look so easy but when you think about it the mechanics of it like you said, it’s really obviously a very difficult skill.

It's not about being impressive, it is a foundational skill though. It will be used for the rest of their time in gymnastics. I think for the gymnasts it is a milestone skill, as it is very different form the skills that come before it.
That’s true. Some of the skills they will leave behind, as they go up levels but they will always need a kip. So that makes sense now why it’s so important.

Reactions: sce
My accomplished level 3 training to move up to 4 hasn't gotten hers yet. I keep hearing how close she is. I sure hope it comes soon for her. She says it is more difficult for her than for her tiny teammates since she's tall (4'10"). I love hearing about kids getting theirs - gives me hope!

My accomplished level 3 training to move up to 4 hasn't gotten hers yet. I keep hearing how close she is. I sure hope it comes soon for her. She says it is more difficult for her than for her tiny teammates since she's tall (4'10"). I love hearing about kids getting theirs - gives me hope!
Hold out the hope. I felt like I heard “I’m so close” a million times lol. It’s coming for her I am sure. I can tell some of the bar skills look a little more awkward and difficult for the taller girls. There’s one taller girl on my daughters team and I wonder sometimes if she needs the bars adjusted to a different height or something.

My daughter was the second to last of her group to get hers. And she was a top of the podium kid. Took a year.
A few of the girls who got it beforeher are no longer doing gym. She L7, might make L8 next season. But man I remember thinking she would never get the DFK back then. I think I worried about it more then she did. No I’m sure I worried more.

Hold out the hope. I felt like I heard “I’m so close” a million times lol. It’s coming for her I am sure. I can tell some of the bar skills look a little more awkward and difficult for the taller girls. There’s one taller girl on my daughters team and I wonder sometimes if she needs the bars adjusted to a different height or something.
Thanks @jessifrostR ! I am definitely holding out hope! And I think you are right. They don't adjust the bars for the taller girls (right now dd is the only one) and I'm pretty sure that makes it tougher. She definitely doesn't get the momentum the little girls do. But she's used to almost everything being tougher. There's a reason most gymnasts are little. :)

My daughter was the second to last of her group to get hers. And she was a top of the podium kid. Took a year.
A few of the girls who got it beforeher are no longer doing gym. She L7, might make L8 next season. But man I remember thinking she would never get the DFK back then. I think I worried about it more then she did. No I’m sure I worried more.

This is EXACTLY me right now! I'm trying really hard not to let her know I'm worrying. She doesn't have a year. She's in uptraining mode now since our gym competes compulsory in the fall, but I think they will decide training groups fairly soon for summer. I definitely have hope she'll make it by fall, but I know she wants to be assigned to the group training for level 4 this spring. I'm not sure she'll stay in gym if she has to do level 3 again since she's the tallest and oldest on her team so that is adding to my worry.

I love DFK!! :D

This is EXACTLY me right now! I'm trying really hard not to let her know I'm worrying. She doesn't have a year. She's in uptraining mode now since our gym competes compulsory in the fall, but I think they will decide training groups fairly soon for summer. I definitely have hope she'll make it by fall, but I know she wants to be assigned to the group training for level 4 this spring. I'm not sure she'll stay in gym if she has to do level 3 again since she's the tallest and oldest on her team so that is adding to my worry.

I love DFK!! :D
What is DFK?

The level 3 bar skills look harder for the girls with long long legs than for my short kiddo. But jumping to the high bar my kid has to really JUMP and looks like a flying squirrel so I guess there are benefits to height too :D

The level 3 bar skills look harder for the girls with long long legs than for my short kiddo. But jumping to the high bar my kid has to really JUMP and looks like a flying squirrel so I guess there are benefits to height too :D

Ha! I guess that is a bright side. :) I haven't seen my dd doing the squat on in a while but she's not at all worried about that.

Reactions: SMH

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back