Parents She said the C word!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hey msl--I think it is a good idea to check out a couple different cheer places, because they can be vastly different. Most cheer gyms in my area do charge a tryout fee, but it is only about $25-$40. I am pretty knowledgable about the cheer gyms so pm me if you want to and I can see if I know any of the ones you are interested in.

I think its harder for us parents to let go of the routine more than it is for the kids. From what you describe it sounds like your DD is READY for something new. If the cheer requires a 1 year commitment then sit down with DD and discuss this with her. Let her know that if she chooses this path that there is a huge commitment on her part to complete the year. Then see how energetic she is to do this knowing that. If she is still all for it then I would say go for it.

Hi msl,

It seems to me that your DD wants to do SOMETHING. She is not one to just sit home and do nothing for a year. It seems like she keeps looking for that something to do.

If she doesn't want to work out at the gym after her tumbling class, it could be for two reasons. one: she is really not into gym too much anymore :( or it could be because she is not part of a team at the moment....no friends, no competitions....unfamiliar coaches - a little bit out of her element. The fact that you moved could have something to do with it. Ask her maybe if she thinks she would still be doing gymnasics if you were in FL.

As far as cheer....I am not familiar with it at all (nor do I want to be ;) but that's just me....) it seems like a 5 hour commitment will be very easy for your DD to handle and will leave plenty of time for school and friends and brace wearing. It sounds like a good option where she can be really shine since she is a talented gymnast. Make sure she understands the commitment is for the full year.

You will get involved in whatever she is doing in no time and find the positives in it. You seem like a person that adjusts very very well to new situations.

As you know, my daughter plays tennis in addition to gym and I am slowly finding out how different the tennis world is and trying to adjust. Just a small example. The head coach suggested she starts going to tournaments. So...., I have to find tournaments online and register her and take her...no coach...no team....all on our own....strange isn't it? especially coming from the gymnastics world.

Good luck! I know DD will make the right decision for herself....and you can help a little...;)

Hi msl,

If she doesn't want to work out at the gym after her tumbling class, it could be for two reasons. one: she is really not into gym too much anymore :( or it could be because she is not part of a team at the moment....no friends, no competitions....unfamiliar coaches - a little bit out of her element. The fact that you moved could have something to do with it. Ask her maybe if she thinks she would still be doing gymnasics if you were in FL.

As you know, my daughter plays tennis in addition to gym and I am slowly finding out how different the tennis world is and trying to adjust. Just a small example. The head coach suggested she starts going to tournaments. So...., I have to find tournaments online and register her and take her...no coach...no team....all on our own....strange isn't it? especially coming from the gymnastics world.

Good luck! I know DD will make the right decision for herself....and you can help a little...;)

Thank you so much for your words of support, mkr!

As far as not wanting to work out after tumbling, I have to say she has had a couple of months to get to know the coaches, and LOVES them. I thought that this would really help her look forward to the team program. Granted, she doesn't know the HC yet, but she loves the owner (who would also be coaching the girl's team) and the two tumbling coaches. I guess it's either true lack of interest in gym, or the lack of stimulation from not being on a team.

Yes, she has said that she would probably still be doing gym in FL, since that is where all of her friends were. But they just lost their HC there, and may be starting to lose girls left & right, so she admits she probably would have gotten into another 'quitting jag' there too, lol.

That is so strange what you are saying about your dd's tennis! No coach? I wouldn't know how to proceed! Good luck w/ that! :)

C word is off the table (today, anyway, lol)

My poor kid. She is just having such a rough time deciding what to choose for an activity!

She tried a cheer gym on Monday, liked it, I thought we were pretty close to being 'done' w/ this drawn-out decision-making process. WRONG! Last nite, out of the blue, she announced that she does not want to do cheer after all. I quote "It's just not me. Gymnastics is my first love, but I still don't want to do all the hours, so I don't know what I'll do".

Now she is sort of back on the Tramp & Tumble idea.

So this morning, I put forth a suggestion, that she just repeat L6, and maybe they won't make her do 15 hours/week, we could try to get them to let her do 10 or so. I think they would work w/ us due to the scoli issue & they really like her at this new gym. She said, "well my bars would suck, I can't even do a good free hip". I said, "well, don't you think you'll improve just a tiny bit, if you go to practice a few hours a week?"

I also suggested she just do 'nothing', and when something seizes her, IF it is still available (like trying out for whatever), she can try it out.

Have I created a monster? :eek: Is it time for me to just step in and TELL her what to do? She's not trying to be dificult, she says 'this is so hard to decide!'. But the one thing she is adamant about, is not doing too many hours of anything. HELP!

Tough situation. I definitely think you need to respect the fact that she doesn't want to do something with a huge commitment of hours. I think it is very common around this age for kids to stop gym BECAUSE of the hours, etc.

I think you offered a good compromise with doing level 6 again if they let her do less hours. I would hesitate to sign her up for cheer unless she thinks she is very sure, because of the year commitment, money involved, etc.

Doing "nothing" is often not an option for families, but maybe she just needs some time doing nothing until she finds something else to do. I think kids get burned out with the overscheduling sometimes. Imagine working your job all day and then going to gym 5 days a week, then having to go home and work on some papers for work. I would be exhausted for sure.

I think she is telling you that she really doesn't want to do something 5 days a week after school. There has to be a way to respect that, yet keep her busy and out of trouble. LOL.

Good luck to BOTH of you in figuring this out. It seems she is having a hard time as well.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back