Shin Splints?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hey All,

I think my DD Beetle (aged 14 - Level 8/9) Has shin splints. She has pain in 1 shin. It is a sharp shooting pain upon landings and seems to get worse as practice goes on.

I have done some research. It seems Ice, Rest, Ibuprophen, taping are the standard fare.

She competes this weekend in the Region 4 meet. Does anyone have any other ideas, suggestion?

Thanks in advance!
K

Tape an ice is what P does when she gets them.

We freeze small dixie cups of water and use them to rub up and down her shin and ibprophen.

I will also pray they feel better soon what a drag.

See ya this weekend.

just get thru the meet and then give them a rest. nothing else really works but rest. good luck.

When I trained I was told prevention is the best treatment (I know this is a little late now but it may help for later). I was told shin splints happen because the calf muscle becomes too much stronger than the much smaller muscles running up the side and front of the legs and that we should do heel raises and heel dips on the edge of a step every day. The focus should be mainly on the heel dip as it lengthens the achillies and calf. It seemed to work for me.
Hope she feels some relief soon.
Good luck xx
Megz

This tip may help all of our gymmies as they transition to the conditioning days of Summer. Shin splints can be helped (not cured) by walking backwards. I know it sounds wierd, but walking backwards works the front of the lower legs as opposed to the calf muscles. Back when I was doing athletic training, we had our football players walk a couple of laps backwards to help stretch the muscles on the front of the legs. Combine this with heel rises and dips as previously suggested (don't forget ankle strengthening too) and you get a pretty good regimen for the lower legs.

Good Luck.

I think you have some great advice on what to do pre and post regionals! I'm sure she's do great this weekend in spite of the shin splints---then some good downtime and exercises should help her get healthy in time to really work this summer.

GL this weekend!

Hi, there. I had these, too, as a competitive dancer growing up. (caused from tap dancing, no less!)

My doc said prevention was the best course of action, and he suggested exercises with a small band. -you know those rubber bands they use at the gym to slip on the girls' legs around their knees to keep their knees together? loop one end under a chair leg and the other around the front of your foot...stand to one side of the chair and pull in against the band, then switch so you are pulling out against the band. these really really help. do as many reps as you can and do them every day.

Good luck! Hope she feels better!

Have her do toe taps while sitting in school at a desk/table, watching tv, or waiting in line for vaulting sitting on the edge of a mat. I had horrible shin splints, and these always helped, and you can feel your shins strengthening as you do this. There are articles suggesting this drill as well! Hope this helps.

Thanks everyone! One thing her coach did was tape it and put a piece of foam under the tape. that seemed to help during training.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back