Parents Shoot Thru & Front Hip Circle

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

gymmom247

My daughter is a Level 4, and she is pretty much good on everything but the following: Her front hip circles look good, but the strength is not behind it to make it around. She is almost there, but not quite. Her back hip circle is awesome but not so much with the front. As far as the shoot thru. She can get up and get her leg thru just fine. It is when she has to has to flip around on the bar that way, again has not strenth. Any suggestions? So basically the shoot thru itself and coming out of it is fine, it is the (hip circle in that position is all I can describe it as since I don't know the terminology quite yet) that is not there. she cant get all the way around.

thanks
:confused:

My daughter is a Level 4, and she is pretty much good on everything but the following: Her front hip circles look good, but the strength is not behind it to make it around. She is almost there, but not quite. Her back hip circle is awesome but not so much with the front. As far as the shoot thru. She can get up and get her leg thru just fine. It is when she has to has to flip around on the bar that way, again has not strenth. Any suggestions? So basically the shoot thru itself and coming out of it is fine, it is the (hip circle in that position is all I can describe it as since I don't know the terminology quite yet) that is not there. she cant get all the way around.

thanks
:confused:
I THINK you may be talking about the mill circle!! My dd is Level 3, age 6, first year of competition, and just about 2 of the 8 girls on the team (both 8 years old) are the only ones consistant on making it.
I'm not a coach, but I can tell you that Kenzie's coach says that staying straight (like from the neck right on down to the toe) on the "back" leg, and keeping their head and front leg up, like they're "diving" for the top bar, are important, but the SECRET is making sure the hip of her "front" leg is in front of her hands. I even pulled up a picture of a windmill online and showed her what the 3 legged ones look like.
I hope you can visualize what I'm talking about. Our gym allowed me to go in on "team day" Friday and take a video of the coach doing one, then Kenzie doing one, so we could compare them side by side. After showing her that, she made 2 of them in a row during last nights practice. (Fingers & toes crossed) that she continues to get and improve them.
Good luck and don't let it be too discouraging. I talked to a Level 7 mom the other day who said her daughter NEVER did the mill circle. This year, she is headed to States, Level 7.
Best wishes!!
Leslie

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back