Short term relocation - gym recommendations

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Akl597

Proud Parent
We live in the Midwest and I'm worried that we're headed toward another lockdown. My older daughter's school is moving to distance learning and it seems like only a matter of time until my younger daughter is in the same situation. If the gym has to close I'm seriously considering moving for the winter. I'm thinking maybe San Diego area (only issue is the time difference since school is live) or maybe Arizona. Normally I would ask our coaches if they could recommend a gym but I don't want to freak them out. Do you guys have any recommendations of gyms that might let us drop in for a couple months?

Here's our current situation:
ODD, 13, just moved up to Xcel Platinum. Did JO level 3 2x, then level 4, then Xcel Gold last year.
YDD, 11, likely to repeat JO Level 7. She has some of her Level 8 skills but not consistently (at least based on what I hear since I haven't seen her do anything since March).

Our gym has a big team - 65 optionals, and probably about 15 on YDDs team. Xcel team is a little smaller but still pretty large. Size of gym isn't that important to me, but just some background on where the girls are coming from. The gym consistently places top 3-5 in every level at State but we don't have any elites (I think this is a gym choice based on what I've heard). Very positive coaching and team atmosphere - big emphasis put on being a good teammate and reaching personal goals. YDD has a lot of anxiety and would need very supportive coach/team. Feel free to message me too. Thanks if you've read this far!

I should add - YDD practices just over 20 hours per week (5 days) and ODD is about 11.5 hours (3 days).

I would never advocate relocation for gym at your kids’ levels, but I’m guessing you don’t want my opinion on that. That said, California has strict rules w covid and if you’re looking for a place to be open no matter the covid circumstances, I doubt it’s the state for you. I would be looking for the states that opened back up first, the states with no mask mandates, etc. I am definitely not sure you can outrun covid in this country, but I guess you can try and outrun lockdowns.

I would never advocate relocation for gym at your kids’ levels, but I’m guessing you don’t want my opinion on that. That said, California has strict rules w covid and if you’re looking for a place to be open no matter the covid circumstances, I doubt it’s the state for you. I would be looking for the states that opened back up first, the states with no mask mandates, etc. I am definitely not sure you can outrun covid in this country, but I guess you can try and outrun lockdowns.
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by relocation for gym at my kids' levels, but we wouldn't be relocating just so they can be in the gym, although that could be one of the benefits. I know CA is the most likely to shut down, but if we have to be in a place that is shut down I would rather it be somewhere warm. I don't think I can live through months of below zero weather where my kids are inside my house all day with no school and no gym (other than Zoom workouts). We are pretty conservative about Covid so that's why CA is appealing - I do trust their Covid protocols.

I re-read my post and the way I wrote it makes it sound like we would be moving because of the gym shutting down. Really, I'm the one who wants to move - this is my chance to go somewhere warm for the winter because the girls can do school remotely and my husband and I can work remotely. But I can't get the girls to go with me unless the gym is closed. So that's why the gym is the trigger for relocating. And if we are going somewhere else, and they could be in a gym, that would be ideal. That's why I'm looking for options.

I re-read my post and the way I wrote it makes it sound like we would be moving because of the gym shutting down. Really, I'm the one who wants to move - this is my chance to go somewhere warm for the winter because the girls can do school remotely and my husband and I can work remotely. But I can't get the girls to go with me unless the gym is closed. So that's why the gym is the trigger for relocating. And if we are going somewhere else, and they could be in a gym, that would be ideal. That's why I'm looking for options.

I'd check with your school district before moving: https://nypost.com/2020/10/18/schoo...udents-for-remote-learning-from-out-of-state/

Reactions: SMH
This past spring I met several families who were moving to an area near Hilton head island to escape lock downs. Bluffton area. My DD really liked the coach at the gym there- super sweet lady and they are used to taking in girls for short periods of time (resort areas generally are from what I understand) Of course covid policies are quite loose in SC but rates are not horrific in that area last time I checked. Hilton head stays pretty nice weather wise year round.

This past spring I met several families who were moving to an area near Hilton head island to escape lock downs. Bluffton area. My DD really liked the coach at the gym there- super sweet lady and they are used to taking in girls for short periods of time (resort areas generally are from what I understand) Of course covid policies are quite loose in SC but rates are not horrific in that area last time I checked. Hilton head stays pretty nice weather wise year round.
We live in the Midwest and I'm worried that we're headed toward another lockdown. My older daughter's school is moving to distance learning and it seems like only a matter of time until my younger daughter is in the same situation. If the gym has to close I'm seriously considering moving for the winter. I'm thinking maybe San Diego area (only issue is the time difference since school is live) or maybe Arizona. Normally I would ask our coaches if they could recommend a gym but I don't want to freak them out. Do you guys have any recommendations of gyms that might let us drop in for a couple months?

Here's our current situation:
ODD, 13, just moved up to Xcel Platinum. Did JO level 3 2x, then level 4, then Xcel Gold last year.
YDD, 11, likely to repeat JO Level 7. She has some of her Level 8 skills but not consistently (at least based on what I hear since I haven't seen her do anything since March).

Our gym has a big team - 65 optionals, and probably about 15 on YDDs team. Xcel team is a little smaller but still pretty large. Size of gym isn't that important to me, but just some background on where the girls are coming from. The gym consistently places top 3-5 in every level at State but we don't have any elites (I think this is a gym choice based on what I've heard). Very positive coaching and team atmosphere - big emphasis put on being a good teammate and reaching personal goals. YDD has a lot of anxiety and would need very supportive coach/team. Feel free to message me too. Thanks if you've read this far!
I'm not sure gyms are accepting new gymnasts at this time. I know our gym would not go for that. They are trying to keep their numbers to the bare minimum.

You really won't know until you start calling gyms. I've been part of this group for several years and you aren't the first to ask about the possibility of training at another gym for a short period of time. One thing to keep in mind is that you will be looking to train somewhere during meet season for both Xcel and Optionals (and depending on where you go, Compulsory as some states deferred fall season to winter/spring). Many gyms won't take new people during meet season. Along with covid, this could make it more difficult to find a place willing to take both your girls. If I were you, I'd just pick a city and start calling around.

I think you might get lucky in that some team kids in the SW are voluntarily taking time off due to COVID. I think that California might be too strict for you though for your reasons. They were initially not letting people watch the sunset at the beach from their cars, so you might not enjoy the warm weather as much as you are thinking if it goes that way.

Tomorrow CA is announcing which counties are returning to the strictest Covid tier and I'm pretty sure San Diego is going to be one of them. Many gyms in CA are only allowed to practice outside, so while you may enjoy the weather, it won't be the workout your gymnasts are used to.

You really won't know until you start calling gyms. I've been part of this group for several years and you aren't the first to ask about the possibility of training at another gym for a short period of time. One thing to keep in mind is that you will be looking to train somewhere during meet season for both Xcel and Optionals (and depending on where you go, Compulsory as some states deferred fall season to winter/spring). Many gyms won't take new people during meet season. Along with covid, this could make it more difficult to find a place willing to take both your girls. If I were you, I'd just pick a city and start calling around.
Yes, I think you're right. I don't think I'm ready to pull the trigger just yet. They're announcing new restrictions in our state today so that may give me a better idea of how severe it will be.

Tomorrow CA is announcing which counties are returning to the strictest Covid tier and I'm pretty sure San Diego is going to be one of them. Many gyms in CA are only allowed to practice outside, so while you may enjoy the weather, it won't be the workout your gymnasts are used to.
Good to know. I'll keep a lookout for the announcement. They are announcing new restrictions in our state too.

Thanks for the idea! I'm not sure how comfortable I would be with their Covid policies in SC, but definitely something to consider.

Yes, I think you're right. I don't think I'm ready to pull the trigger just yet. They're announcing new restrictions in our state today so that may give me a better idea of how severe it will be.

My state is too (MN) though I doubt gyms will be shut down. Meets may be impacted though. I've been fantasizing about packing up and heading to a warm state for 4-6 weeks this winter but I don't think that's very realistic for my family...hubby has some in-office meetings, we have animals, home would still need to be shoveled, college-daughter's schedule is up in the air, etc, etc. I would so do it in an instant though! Good luck!!

So Cal is pretty much shut down, gyms are technically supposed to be closed for indoor training, including LA, Riverside ( Palm Springs) and San Diego. OC seems to be the only county not in purple and perhaps you may find a gym to take you there but the possibility of meets us now declining due to all the shut downs since LA and San Diego hosted most of the meets. Hopefully things change by February but hard to say bc lack of training.

Well, our gym had to shut down as of last Saturday. We decided to head to Florida for a few weeks, but I don't think we'll try to find a gym since we won't be there that long. At least we'll be somewhere warm for Zoom workouts! And hopefully our gym will be able to open by the end of the month.

Personally this is not the year to worry about details. Unless they are getting ready to want to commit to college. This year is what it is. If you find a place great. If not condition, work out and move on.

Do what is best for your family, during these trying times.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back