WAG Shorts During Competition

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Since the only competitions for us this year are in house the gym let the girls wear shorts and practice leos (sleeveless) the gymnasts have all been happier. I'm sure their are judges that will say the lines can't be seen or whatever as a counter argument.

Since the only competitions for us this year are in house the gym let the girls wear shorts and practice leos (sleeveless) the gymnasts have all been happier. I'm sure their are judges that will say the lines can't be seen or whatever as a counter argument.
If they did say that I would probably counter with MAG judges somehow being able to see the lines while boys compete in shorts and tank tops, stirrup pants for some events. Boys wear more clothes for the judges to see their lines, not less.

As a judge, if one can't see a gymnast's line while the gymnast is wearing shorts, I question one's judging ability. The men wear shorts or pants for their events and some female gymnasts compete in body suits now. When I push back on my fellow judges and coaches with that, the argument almost always becomes "it's prettier" (granted, it can be, but these are athletes not models) or "it's tradition" (so what, times change, we don't vault on a horse anymore, etc.). I wish gymnasts could wear only leos or shorts or capris or leggings, as they feel most comfortable. I'd think the leo makers would love it, too - they could sell matching leggings/capris for winter and shorts for fall/spring...

I don’t think wearing plain black shorts over a leotard will look very presentable unless the leotard is plain black. If they are going to allow shorts they should match the pattern on the leotard. Also it should be a choice since some gymnasts might feel more comfortable without the shorts on their leotards. Also men and women and different and so is men’s and women’s gymnastics, so you can’t just compare men’s and women’s gymnastics and say it’s the same sport with the same rules. But perhaps there could be a standard for the leotards to be more modestly cut so they are not too high cut or revealing ect.

I thought they changed the rules to allow shorts but that they had to match the leo? Am I mistaken?

I don’t want to go all out and say men shouldn’t have any say in this conversation, but I do find it incredibly frustrating as a person who did gymnastics while going through puberty, that “older” men (older from the gymnast’s point of view) are getting a say in how much modesty young girls are allowed during this time of their life. Most girls who did gymnastics as a teenager would have at least one teammate (or themselves) who skipped a competition because of their period. Long tights, unitards, and leggings aren’t usually given as an option to these girls even though it’s technically in the code of points and even if they were, they just single out that gymnast in a way that would be incredibly uncomfortable in a time of life where they are learning to navigate social situations. Furthermore as a survivor of childhood sexual abuse I would have done just about anything for a discreet modesty option to make me feel less vulnerable in those years. That’s not to say there is any link between not wearing shorts and abuse happening, but rather, just to highlight that we don’t know the reasons why these girls need or want any particular level of modesty and we should be providing that option to them without making a fuss about it, especially if that fuss is just over whether or not the shorts actually match their Leotard...

The new rule actually says they can wear tights that are skin tone or match the leotard under their leos. I assume leggings that match would be just fine, half the country seems to confuse tights and leggings already and you can buy leggings that are labeled tights.

I wholeheartedly approve this being an option, because as beautiful as lines are, I don't think girls should have to put their whole bodies on display if they don't want to. However, if it's presented as an option, I can see a LOT of gyms still not offering girls the option.

I still find it really sad that the leotard standards arent enforced like we were told they were going to be. I saw full backless leotards at a recent meet :/ And have seen at least 3 leotards this year that dont meet the current standards.

I still find it really sad that the leotard standards arent enforced like we were told they were going to be. I saw full backless leotards at a recent meet :/ And have seen at least 3 leotards this year that dont meet the current standards.
They postponed the new standards until next year because of Covid. They didn’t want gyms required to get new leotards since no one was certain a season would happen.

That rule got pushed back to August 2021 due to COVID (many gyms opted to keep the same leotards this season for $$$ reasons).

I wholeheartedly approve this being an option, because as beautiful as lines are, I don't think girls should have to put their whole bodies on display if they don't want to. However, if it's presented as an option, I can see a LOT of gyms still not offering girls the option.
I agree with this. I absolutely agree that this should be an option. BUT I see a lot of gyms not even offering it or even letting parents and girls know there are options. You wouldn’t believe the amount of gym transfers we get from another local gym because they won’t let the girls wear shorts with their practice leos. I’m sure there were multiple other reasons for leaving, but the no shorts policy is always the deal breaker, and these girls are typically aged 12-14 when the transfer happens.

A lot of the early teens seem to be sensitive about their bodies at that age. It seems like most of them feel more comfortable in the shorts, but there are also some that feel uncomfortable with the shorts on leotards because on many girls wearing shorts on top of a leotard can make them look and feel fatter. So there can also be an issue of body imagine. For most girls with widening hips the shorts on top of leotards puts a lot of emphasis on the hip and thigh area making it look a lot wider. 3/4 or full length tights solve that problem a little bit and they are a better look which can also give a better line.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back