Parents Should I do it?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The coaches approached me today. They said that Ally and Leah can move up to 6 if they want too. I asked about Hannah, and they said that they want to keep her in 5 for the rest of the season. I can agree, Hannah only has her kip cast handstand on bars (sometimes) No other level 6 skills. Ally and Leah have mostly all they L6 skills.

Should I move them up? Or would it cause too much drama?

IMO I would move them up. Only because it may give Hannah a chance to shine a bit on her own. With three's it seems like someone is always the odd man out, so Ally and Leah will be together which may make Hannah feel left out at times. But on the other hand, it gives Hannah some independence from her sisters which is always good for increasing self-esteem. It's sounds like a tough call.

If they all three stay on the same team, there will still be drama-i.e. the last competition and the car ride home?? There will always be drama, so you need to start thinking of them as individuals and help them develop as individuals. You were probably thinking that this day would come eventually where they would be split up on different levels.

Have you talked to them about this? Maybe talk to them each individually about their own scenarios and then bring them all together and have a group discussion about how they need to all support each other and how important it is to be different and do different things at times. They are each special in their own unique ways and they are also special as an entitty as "triplets". They will always have that multiple bond but it is also good to be an individual.

Keep us posted and good luck deciding!!!

IMO I would move them up. Only because it may give Hannah a chance to shine a bit on her own. With three's it seems like someone is always the odd man out, so Ally and Leah will be together which may make Hannah feel left out at times. But on the other hand, it gives Hannah some independence from her sisters which is always good for increasing self-esteem. It's sounds like a tough call.

If they all three stay on the same team, there will still be drama-i.e. the last competition and the car ride home?? There will always be drama, so you need to start thinking of them as individuals and help them develop as individuals. You were probably thinking that this day would come eventually where they would be split up on different levels.

Have you talked to them about this? Maybe talk to them each individually about their own scenarios and then bring them all together and have a group discussion about how they need to all support each other and how important it is to be different and do different things at times. They are each special in their own unique ways and they are also special as an entitty as "triplets". They will always have that multiple bond but it is also good to be an individual.

Keep us posted and good luck deciding!!!

Of course they are individuals, but I am talking about teammates, not sisters. Ally and Leah really want to do it! Hannah does feel a little rejected- but the coaches said they probably will move her up at the end of the season.

How has Hannah been since the last meet and car ride home?? Would this be another devasting blow to her only in her mind because of one meet? They are young is it that important to move them to 6? Would a better option be to have them be level 5 state champs and do 1 meet 6 for mobility at the end of the season. Then they could have the off season to prepare for 7.( Who knows by then Hannah may have found her groove or/and her confidence and may be right there with them. I had a 7yr old level 5 last year. every meet she scored a 37.00 all around and won and by state won with a 38.50. She relished in being the level 5 state champ which she lost as a level 4 by 1 tenth. Shes done her 1 level 6 meet and trained all summer for level 7. She has just turned 8 and willbe my youngest but definitely most talented and one of my best level 7s She reeks with an air of confidence.(not cocky).. It sounds like the girls are very talented and the coaches are ok either way.. Dont rush them and let them enjoy the wins. In this sport most kids take it home with them ,sleep, eat and live gymnastics. While they are individuals and may progress at different rates in my opinion It not worth crushing one. Level 6 is not all that.:eek:

Of course they are individuals, but I am talking about teammates, not sisters. Ally and Leah really want to do it! Hannah does feel a little rejected- but the coaches said they probably will move her up at the end of the season.

Then there you go--that's your answer. Plain and simple:)

How has Hannah been since the last meet and car ride home?? Would this be another devasting blow to her only in her mind because of one meet? They are young is it that important to move them to 6? Would a better option be to have them be level 5 state champs and do 1 meet 6 for mobility at the end of the season. Then they could have the off season to prepare for 7.( Who knows by then Hannah may have found her groove or/and her confidence and may be right there with them. I had a 7yr old level 5 last year. every meet she scored a 37.00 all around and won and by state won with a 38.50. She relished in being the level 5 state champ which she lost as a level 4 by 1 tenth. Shes done her 1 level 6 meet and trained all summer for level 7. She has just turned 8 and willbe my youngest but definitely most talented and one of my best level 7s She reeks with an air of confidence.(not cocky).. It sounds like the girls are very talented and the coaches are ok either way.. Dont rush them and let them enjoy the wins. In this sport most kids take it home with them ,sleep, eat and live gymnastics. While they are individuals and may progress at different rates in my opinion It not worth crushing one. Level 6 is not all that.:eek:

Very good point! I am definately taking this to mind...

I think there are some very valid points in this post as well.

I would probably ask them what they want to do first. If they want to try it, go for it, but it may end up going from a sucessful L5 season to a struggling one L6 one. They may decide to stay back and continue a good L5 season with DD #3 until they are all ready to go to 6 together.

Wow, what a hard decision. Here is my 2 cents (may not be worth two cents but I'll throw it in the pot anyway !! )

~ I think that mid- season move ups can be difficult. You have already been competing one set of routines and now you have to change gears. My understanding is that L6 judging is very harsh (especially on bars) but this is not from personal experience - just what I have heard.

~ OK now on the other hand. When growing up I had a lot of things that I was not allowed to do or had to discontinue because my sister was not able to do them (she has a learning disability). This has caused a tremendous strain in my relationship w/ her. Even though it was not her asking me not to do those things because it made her feel bad or whatever - i still resented her as a reason I could not do some of the things I wanted to or enjoyed.

just some food for thought. May be best to sit them down and talk to all of them. It may be the best thing in the world for Hannah to be the only one at level 5 for a while. Let her feel that she is not competing with her sisters. Or, she may feel left behind - but SHE is the only one that can tell you that.

I agree with talking with them. But here are a few more things to think about for you:
-do level 5 and 6 practice the same hours at the gym? (they do not at ours and it would be tough if they were now going at different times. It would ruin the family time you do get to have.

-at meets you would be in different sessions or even days.

Just giving you two more things to think about in addition to all the sibling/triplet/family/gym issues.

All I can say is..."Oh my, what a difficult decision all the way around!":confused:. Many goods points have been posted already, for all the different scenarios. Does your gym routinely. Move girls up mid-season??? I guess what I'm asking is... would they have made this suggestion for any one else, or are they thinking that it might be nice for Hannah not to compete against her sisters? Our gym doesn't move gymmies mid-season, so it wouldn't even be an option at our gym. Level 6 is a tough level(judged harshly, yes..especially bars). I know many gyms have their gymmies test out of it. They move right to optionals, so they escape the self-esteem blows of level 6. But our gym feels it's an important level, so testing out, is also not an option at our gym. Which brings me too...are the other 2 REALLY ready to compete(& win like they are used too) at level 6? You may get the reverse situation...2 unhappy gymmies & 1 happy one on the car ride home. They may have their level 6 skills. But are they strong enough in them, to compete against level 6's who have already been competing them all season??? Having a DD who has been a state champ @ levels 5 & 6, I can tell you how proud she is of those accomplishments. They are probably the proudest moments of her life so far. It sounds like Ally & Leah are right on track to do well at level 5 states...should they miss that opportunity to shine??? At our gym they would all finish out the season at level 5, then Ally & Leah would be moved up. Hannah would be re-evaluated & possibly repeat level 5(if all level 6 skills were not perfected, especially bars). So that would her "her" year to shine as a strong level 5. But since your gym has given you the option....you have a REALLY tough decision to make. Sounds like Ally & Leah are excited about the move...but do they realize what competition they'll be facing at the upcoming meets as level 6's??? I think you need to have a talk with the HC & find out how ready the girls really are for level 6. Meaning will they win like they are used too...or will thay end up disappointed during awards too? Best wishes to you & all 3 of your talented gymmies, in making this tough choice. :)

Last edited:
Here is what I am going to do....

At breakfast this morning, I sat down with all three of them and asked each one what they think of the situation. Ally and Leah definately want to do it, but I explained to them how it is not like level 5 and competing against a whole different group of girls. Ally still wants to do it, Leah is holding back a little bit. I told Hannah that she is going to stay in level 5 until the end of the season, and she was fine with that. I also told Ally that she might not be used to winning like she is used to now. She thought about it and she told me she wants to stay in level 5. Leah is still thinking about it, but Hannah looked much happier after Ally turned down the offer.

Triplets are such a joy aren't they?:p

Gymjourneymom brought up many points I would have. Our gym also does not move girls during the season. If you start as a L5, you end as a L5. L6 is tough---it seems far removed from those blissful days as a L5. What are the ages of the other L6s? If most are 2-3 yrs older then that can become a factor for either girl in feeling like they're part of the new team. Also, you mentioned they have the majority of the L6 skills, but have they had time to learn the routines? You certainly wouldn't want to throw them in to a meet when they're still learning.

If they stay where they are, they'll compete as L5s at states this year, move on to L6s(at least 2 of them) as 8yos and be ready for L7 at age 9. We have a girl at our gym who has done the same thing---started L5 at age 7 and has moved up a level/year. She has also won the state AA at each level. So, she'll compete at L9 as a 10/11 yo(she turns 11 during the meet season). Her parents were competitive gymnasts and coaches in an eastern european country and are coaching here. They both agreed to the 1 year/level because they want her to grow into the sport and not have the sport overtake her.

At your next meet, could you arrange to stay and watch the L6 session? That might give you and the girls an idea of what exactly L6 looks like.

Sounds like your talk with the girls went well and you have a good plan...AND you are letting them make their own choices. What a tough place to be in...I think you are handling it just right! Let us know what Leah decides. Hope they all have good seasons...L5 and/or L6.

I only asked about the skills because I thought I had read about L6 skills your triple gymmies only picked up this week? Just going off of memory, which is not always reliable LOL

... gymnastics always seems to be be 1 step forward - 3 steps back ;). You have it, you lose it, you have it and usually (x fingers, hopefully, please, please, please) for good :D. Our gym will move girls up mid-season, but only if they are 95% ready for the next level prior to the meet season starting. L6 is tough as others have stated, and they would just have to be prepared to for the difference.

With that said, talking to your dd's & making a home decision are important, but it is also important to trust the advice of dd's coaches. They will know your gymnasts' abilities best. Unfortunately as heartbreaking as it is, gymnastics is not always fair. Children advance at different rates, and sometimes, sadly, feelings do get hurt. But things usually end up working out for the best if you follow their advice. Maybe in this case dd remaining in L5 will just be able to focus on her and not feel like she has to compare herself to her siblings. Bottom line is trust the coaches that you picked for your dd's. They are the professionals.

Now... It does sound as if they (coaches) are leaving some decision up to you here as well, if that is the case, maybe they will let the girls try a L6 meet, and see how it goes. If they really don't like it or have a bad experience they could always finish their seasons as L5's ... Good luck & Let us know how it all turns out :)

We decided to keep them as level 5's so they can finish out the year and all move up together. Everyone wins (for now:p) I did show them a couple level 6 vids on youtube- they said that they know and see them practice. Thanks everyone for your help!:D

Well, that is one decision I'm glad I'll never have to make;). I'm sure Ally & Leah will clean up the rest of the season in level 5. That will be great for their self confidence. Hannah may need a little extra TLC. But I wouldn't count her out, she's got lots of motivation now. These gymmies NEVER cease to amaze me! I can picture the orginal "Rocky" movie & the song "Eye of the Tiger" playing as she practices:D. Best of luck to all your girls! Keep us posted on their progress. I'm sure you'll have lots of good news for us.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back