WAG Should I go to Nationals

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

aerialriver

Coach
Gymnast
I had my heart set on going to nationals for t&t. I got my qualifying score on trampoline and tumbling but not on double mini. I am level 5 tumbling and level 10 trampoline so it's 2 separate times of the week. Id have to be there about 10 nights total. I can barely afford it we can fund raise. I want to compete but I also wanted to visit a friend that lives there. The coaches fee alone is $400. I know I won't win anything. K thought I might have a chance at tumbling but then I got beat today when in thought I did awesome. In your opinion would you go given those facts or skip it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using ChalkBucket mobile app

Go. You earned it. You will regret it someday if you don't. If money is a big issue, could you lower the cost by only competing in one of the events? It would make the trip shorter and less expensive. Anyone who has earned the right to compete at nationals should do so with pride even without any expectation of winning. Congrats!

I would go to Nationals for the L10 Trampoline but not the tumbling unless it was as a spectator.

Hmm now I have more things to consider. One of the other girls who wanted to go is a level 7 and now it looks like she isn't going. So the coaches fee of $1,600 would be divided between only 3 of us now. But on the flip side the other 2 girls are level 8 and 9 so if I skipped tumbling maybe the coaches fee would be lower if the coach only had to be there half the time? I guess I'll have to ask.

I'll disagree ... If you know you won't win, it's not a competition, it's an expensive vacation. If you can't afford an expensive vacation right now, don't go.

I don't support my kids going to optional competitions out of area unless *they do not have adequate competition closer*. Unless, of course, we want to go as a vacation.

I agree we have decided against doing some meets for this reason. If your not able to be competitive to win it becomes very expensive and ends up bring just a vacation. But if money is not an issue due to fundraising and such I say go! Or at least go for the one your better at!

I'll disagree ... If you know you won't win, it's not a competition, it's an expensive vacation. If you can't afford an expensive vacation right now, don't go.

I don't support my kids going to optional competitions out of area unless *they do not have adequate competition closer*. Unless, of course, we want to go as a vacation.

I have to say I'm not that familiar with T&T but for USAG, if you make Nationals, it is a HUGE DEAL and quite an accomplishment!! I get that cost is an issue, and the OP has to make some decisions about what events to compete in. But to say skip Nationals because you are not going to win????? :( Guess I'm just going to Michigan "on vacation" next week!

It isn't too hard to qualify in my state. It still is USAG just trampoline and tumbling not WAG. To quality to go to state's you have to have attended 2 qualifying meets. Yep attended, no certain score. From there you can get your score to qualify to National's or you can go to Regionals and qualify to Nationals. It is much harder to get your qualifying score at Regionals.

Honestly this year it seemed harder to get your score but in years past I have seen people fall and still make it. I am proud of myself for what I have acomplished but this year has been really rough and I know for fact my highest DD level 10 trampoline routine won't even hold a candle to the other competitors. I am not trying to be down on myself but rather realistic. Is it really worth it to spend like an insane amount of money to go and compete one event that I have no chance of coming close to winning?

I know for sure if I made all 3 events I would have gone. I also found out today that not one else from my gym is doing level 5-7 so it isn't even an option to compete tumbling as the coach won't be going for that part of the week. I just don't know, I do want to go see my friend and I am considering quitting but that is another post.

I think if you can manage it, it is a great experience. To be able to say you went to nationals, and to compete with others at that level is such a great experience in itself.
Would another coach take you on for the tumbling? So you could compete two events?
Can you afford it as a 'holiday'? I just think it would be such an awesome experience if you could do it.

If you are thinking of quitting and you can afford it, I think going to nationals would be a nice ending to your career. I'm not one that thinks the only reason you should go to a meet is if you can win

I have made my decision not to go this year. I had a long heart to heart with my coach and told her everything. She thinks I still have a lot of potential and is starting a new training program for us this summer. Now I am looking forward to training and hopefully having fun. I'll see where it leads and I'll have a lot of extra money in my pocket book maybe if I can tough it out one more year I can get my joy back and maybe attend next year.

Thanks for all the replies!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back