should I start gymnastics?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I

iceskater

So recently I went to the mall and like at least 5 people asked me if I was a gymnast. Probably because I was wearing my friend tee shirt that said I heart Gym! hahaha but also because I am 4' 10" and 14 years old and weigh 90 lbs. I am already a figure skater (if you couldn't tell by my name haha) So I am flexible and have like crazy strong legs. I have like reasonable upper body strength. I can do a handstand, backbend, front walkover, and a front handspring on the trampoline (I have never had a gymnastics lesson a gym, my friend who is a level 8 gymnast taught me) So I would really like to start and was wondering how long it would take me to get to say, level 5? What do you think the highest level I could get to is and does anyone have recommendations or know places to stay away from in or around Lee's Summit/Kansas City? Thank You Very Much!!

From what you say, it sounds like you have a good build for gymnastics. I think it is definitely something to try, especially since you have a bit of a head-start from skating ;) I think to get to level 5, you may need a couple years because there are required skills on all four events and it can take some getting used to. It took me forever to get my front handspring on vault because I was terrified of the table :p It all depends on how much time you're willing to put into it. You're going to move up with skills and levels much faster with more time spent training at the gym, but you need to know your limit and not burn out early on or anything. I say try a class at a nearby gym and then decide what you want out of gymnastics and how much you're going to put in at the beginning. There's no saying what level you could get to if you wanted it badly. Go for it! As for gyms nearby, I found the following, but I don't live in the area so I can't say if any are really good or bad gyms, but I guess you can check out their sites and decide for yourself:
Kansas City Gymnastic School - KC Gymnastics
Mercury Gymnastics - MercuryGymnastics
Edge Gymnastics Riverside - Edge Gymnastics
Eagles Gymnastic & Dance Center - Home
Good luck! Tell us how it goes! :)

Just make sure you are starting for the right reasons. Starting gymnastics because you have right body for the sport is not a good idea. The right body wont get you far without the right mindset. But starting because you want to do gymnastics is a much better reason.

Your body wont be the only thing that determines your success. Other big issue's include, you gear factor, you understanding of your own body, how hard you are prepared to work, how many hours you spend in the gym, the quality of your coach and so on.

When you are looking for gyms be aware that many gyms dont accept girls your age onto their team programs, unless they are already around level 7 or 8. Many other gyms do accept girls your age so ask the question before you begin training. It would be awful to train at one place and then find out you cant be on the team.

Oh I guess I didn't really explain well enough. I had been thinking of starting gymnastics for months before everyone started telling me I should. It just sort of really made me want to try. I really enjoy getting better and I would be in the gym as much as needed. Thank you both for your help.

If thats what you want to do you should totally go for it! It sounds like you could probably get to level 5 in less than a year but it really depends on how fast you pick up the skills.

Oh I guess I didn't really explain well enough. I had been thinking of starting gymnastics for months before everyone started telling me I should. It just sort of really made me want to try. I really enjoy getting better and I would be in the gym as much as needed. Thank you both for your help.

Then I think you should definitely try it out (provided your parents are in agreement). You never know if you'll love it until you try it, right?

Hi

Your still young and everything is worth trying.

Take it from me :) I have done Tracks, Handball, Icehockey, Figure Skating, Floorball, tabletennis, basket, martial arts and that just the sports i kept in for more then 1 year.

I didnt start with gymnastics untill mid twenties and i really enjoy it both practice self and coach the little ones.

If you are curious and would like to try that should be only reason you need :).
Its possible you can make it good with your body type and the skills you really have.

But in the end its all up to you and if you think its fun.

GO For it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back