Welcome to our Gymnastics Discussion Community
554,231 messages... 44,365 topics... and 6,612 members
Join for FREE!
Thank you for supporting our sponsors Energym Music & Norberts & High 5 Meets!

For Coaches Should she move to level 5???

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GymmomOR1127

Guest
Hi:)!

Opinions Please - - - - I will try not to be too long:eek:!

My dd (10 yr. old) just finished her level 4 fall season (2nd year). She competed her first fall season last year with a different gym that only competed fall for compulsories. After she competed her first fall season her coach moved her to level 5. Almost immediately after that we found out she had severe thyroid problems and was put on thyroid hormone (initially too high of a dose), and her gym merged into another gym that we had been at before, but left due to some problems that I won't go into. The gym that she was at was nice and small and everyone was like family. Then she was thrown into this huge gym with all new coaches and kids and was dealing with hormone med side effects at the same time:eek:! So she went to her old coach, who was still at the gym (just not coaching regularly) and told him that this was all too much for her and asked if she could compete level 4 again. He really would have liked for her to compete level 5, but he told her that he would rather have her stay and do level 4 again than get frustrated and quit.

Now, naturally we have completely different coaches, and her old coach (whom she loved) left:(. Now that she is finished with her 2nd level 4 season, she is more than ready for level 5! She had a good season, but her heart was not in it. She has told me she is bored and needs to be challenged, and I can tell that in practice.

In the beginning of this merger, we were told that competing spring season was optional. Last night we received notice that it was mandatory to compete spring season. My stance on this is - - she does not want to compete level 4 again, and I don't want to waste my money (which is not easy to come by) on her competing a third level 4 season, when she does not need to. I am considering talking to the coach and seeing if he had planned on moving her to level 5. If he did, then I think everything is okay, and if she has her skills by the time season starts, she can compete, but if not, maybe she can wait until fall. My concern is if he says he wants her to compete level 4 through spring, we are going to have a problem.

I am not the type of parent that pushes their kid through the levels as fast as they can, but in this case, I feel that if she doesn't get moved, they will be "putting out her fire".

So, as a coach, in this position, what would you do? My dd is well qualified to move on. Would you hold her back because she is not putting her all into everything, or would you understand that maybe she is bored and needs some challenging? Even with her not putting her all into it, she still scores in the upper 35's at meets!

I know, I lied, I still ended up being too long:rolleyes:! SORRY:eek:
 

bogwoppit

Former Admin
Gold Membership
Former Gymnast
Feb 26, 2007
16,720
Country
Canada
If the coach would allow it, and she has the skills and the ambition, then I would move her to 5 for the spring season. She sounds as though she is ready for it now.
 
G

GymmomOR1127

Guest
If the coach would allow it, and she has the skills and the ambition, then I would move her to 5 for the spring season. She sounds as though she is ready for it now.

Thank you for your answer:)! I am trying to see the other side before I do talk to the coach. The last thing I want to do is offend anyone! Who knows, I may not even need to talk to him, and may be worrying about nothing! Not that parents ever do that when it comes to their kids:rolleyes:ha ha!
 

gymmomntc2e6

Moderator/Proud Parent
Aug 25, 2007
2,842
North Carolina
I would find out from the coach what his plans are for your DD. If it is to move her to L5 for the spring season then all is good. If not, I would ask the reasoning and explain the situation. Maybe they would be willing to make the change.

Good Luck.
 

jasmine196

Member
Coach
Proud Relative
Aug 29, 2007
102
As a coach I look at number of different factors when moving a gymnast up. The biggest of course is does she have the skills. Is she just missing 1 or most of them. If she has the majority of the skills, and I know she will compete well then I wouldn't see an issue at moving her to 5. Now if I feel that she would not compete well I would not compete her this spring and wait until the fall, working level 5. I WILL NOT compete girls until they are ready for that level. I don't believe that a gymnast will benefit from being in the bottom half of her age group at a level. I know that's its ok to have some disapointment, but not the whole season.

Since she has already done Level 4 twice I wouldn't want her to become bored and quit. So I would move her up. Would I compete her in the Spring or wait till next Fall would be the biggest question, and since I don't know what skills she is missing, I can't say for sure. Talk to your coach, give them your concerns. Hear their concerns. Then and only then can you do what's best for your dd.
 
G

GymmomOR1127

Guest
As a coach I look at number of different factors when moving a gymnast up. The biggest of course is does she have the skills. Is she just missing 1 or most of them. If she has the majority of the skills, and I know she will compete well then I wouldn't see an issue at moving her to 5. Now if I feel that she would not compete well I would not compete her this spring and wait until the fall, working level 5. I WILL NOT compete girls until they are ready for that level. I don't believe that a gymnast will benefit from being in the bottom half of her age group at a level. I know that's its ok to have some disapointment, but not the whole season.

Since she has already done Level 4 twice I wouldn't want her to become bored and quit. So I would move her up. Would I compete her in the Spring or wait till next Fall would be the biggest question, and since I don't know what skills she is missing, I can't say for sure. Talk to your coach, give them your concerns. Hear their concerns. Then and only then can you do what's best for your dd.

Thank you for your response:)! I completely agree with you, I certainly would not want her to compete level 5 if she was not ready.
 

gymdog

Well-Known Member
Coach
Former Gymnast
Proud Relative
Jul 5, 2007
5,121
It's hard to say without knowing the situation, especially because my state does fall and spring seasons for everyone. For example a second year L4 would most likely be competing Nov-May one year, train the summer/fall and then Nov-May the second year if they stay at that level. So I think of seasons as "years" rather than "seasons" anyway. Moving up mid-year here is not unheard of, but not particularly common.

But ultimately I would schedule a face to face appointment with the coach before you make any decisions. They should be willing to discuss the next season with you regardless of their plans.
 

Aussie_coach

Moderator/Coach
Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Proud Parent
Gymnast
Club Owner
Jan 4, 2008
3,415
Country
Australia
It sounds like your daughter is well and truly ready for level 5. I would have a chat to the coach and explain the sitaution, how she was meant to be level 5 already but chose to repeat level due to medical problems and has now done 2 seasons. And that she is getting bored.

It may or may not have the desired effect. many coaches will not except the excuse that "she is bored" as a reason for training less than her best and this could cause them to doubt her readiness. If she is not training to potential. Have a talk to your daughter about what it means to be ready for level 5, that it isnt just that she needs to have the skills but also needs to prove to the coaches that she is hard working and motivated.

Doing 3 seasons doesn't need to be a big deal. Here in Australia it is not uncommon to see girls spend 2 or 3 years as a level 4. As long as the coaches ensure each child is learning new things each training then it doesnt matter so much if they compete a level for a while.
 
G

GymmomOR1127

Guest
It sounds like your daughter is well and truly ready for level 5. I would have a chat to the coach and explain the sitaution, how she was meant to be level 5 already but chose to repeat level due to medical problems and has now done 2 seasons. And that she is getting bored.

It may or may not have the desired effect. many coaches will not except the excuse that "she is bored" as a reason for training less than her best and this could cause them to doubt her readiness. If she is not training to potential. Have a talk to your daughter about what it means to be ready for level 5, that it isnt just that she needs to have the skills but also needs to prove to the coaches that she is hard working and motivated.

Doing 3 seasons doesn't need to be a big deal. Here in Australia it is not uncommon to see girls spend 2 or 3 years as a level 4. As long as the coaches ensure each child is learning new things each training then it doesnt matter so much if they compete a level for a while.

Thank you:) - That is exactly what I was wondering, if many coaches have the view of "bored or not, you always need to work your hardest"! And to some extent, I agree. You wouldn't want to be on a team where the girl that hardly tries gets to move up because she is bored:rolleyes:! My dd is not to that extreme, and for all I know, the coaches may not notice like I do. I just can tell that her heart is not into it. I think part of her problem is that in the past, she has been used to working with the head coach, who demanded respect and that they do their best. Now, most of the time she is coached by a couple of young girls that don't really get the whole pride and respect thing. Also, you mentioned in the last sentence about the kids learning new things while competing the level. I think that is also part of the problem. She has not learned anything new in over a year (aside from the few things she tried her short time on level 5)! Maybe staying in level 4 until after spring wouldn't be so bad if she could still work on level 5 skills. I think I will talk to the head coach, and see what his plans are. We'll go from there;)! Thanks again:)!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.