MAG Shoulder....part 2

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

skschlag

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
D fell again tonight. Again on pommel. This time he twisted and landed funny, and said he felt a "pop" in his shoulder and had never had something hurt that bad. We are icing and ibuprofen for now as it it after 6 and the orthopedic center isn't open. Hoping that he is just more down and scared than hurt, and that it will feel better tomorrow, but his coach seemed worried.

hopefully will know more tomorrow...and hopefully it is good. At least we have 4 months utnil the season starts!

Oh no!!! I have had shoulder injuries. They are so tough!

I hope that in the morning it is feeling better. Keep us updated!

Yikes, I am sorry! Hoping its just sore....and remembering how he came back so strong from the shoulder injury at the star t of summer!

It is so hard to tell. That kid is so vague. He just used it to hold himself up to look out the window. No pain. He is using it, but says somethings hurt at a 7 some at a 5 and most at a 2-3. and then he will say:

"It almost never hurts when I do this sometimes." or "it hurts kinda really bad, but not really really bad." oh, and my favorite: "It hurts at a 5 for this injury, but that might have been a 7 for the last injury because last injury had a 10 that wasn't a 10 for this injury." HUH???

Seriously...waht is that supposed to mean?!?! how is a mom supposed to know! LOL!

We dont have gym again until Monday so we are taking the weekend to rest, ice, and take naproxen. Hopefully that will help. If not, we have an appt on Monday at the ortho. If it is feeling better, we will cancel. If not, we have it. Coach thought waiting was the way to go. He has good range of motion in it with some pain (see above). He lifted a gallon of milk, and that hurt, but he can lift his whole body with no pain. Hopefully the next 2 days give us more direction!

I should add, that really, the only thing he keeps saying is "what if I can't compete this year...."

Oh so sorry that happened to your son! How frustrating trying to make sense of what he is trying to tell you. I hope you can figure it out and it turns out to be nothing but just sore from falling wierd.

Kids are definitely confusing when it comes to describing pain. I hope it goes okay and improves!

He says it feels much better. Very little pain during most movements. Only one hurts, and he said it only hurt at a 4. So we are goign to wait it out a few days. His regular ortho is out of town, and we would rather see him anyway. He has been doing handstands and cartwheels and roundoffs pain free. Back walkovers too.

So we are going with instructions from the last injury. If it hurts stop. Other than that, we are just waiting it out.

So, it seems like he has been set back about half of what he was before. The first time, he could do nothing at all without pain. This time, he can do everything on tramp, floor, vault, and pommel. Rings and high bar not at all. Pbars only above the bar work. So basically, probably set back about a month to a month and a half. Sigh. Better than I thought. but still stinks :( He seems ok. High bar was the worst. But he said that once he got off, the pain was completely gone. Last time, it would hurt for quite a while once he stopped. I think that will make it harder to remember, but hopefully he will take his time and let it heal again (and then learn how to fall off the handles withOUT hurting his shoulder!)

Ugh, sorry he's still limited, but at least he can do some things and isn't stuck with only doing conditioning. But I really hope he can make it through the next several months without any further adventures!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back