Side aerial " form" , help !

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

pi-xx

Gymnast
Hi !

First of all sorry for my english i'm french so..:/
I would like to have some tips on how to improve the form of a side aerial. I'm explaining : i'm training my side aerial for months now ( i'm self taught and don't go to any gym ) . The real matter is that when i'm doing it, it doesn't really look like i'm standing when i'm in the air ( like this position : I ) if you understand but more sideway like a " / " and i don't really know how to fix it since i'm doing tons a day and, even though it's getting kind of better,i'm still not totally vertical when i'm in the air. I thought that may be it was because my legs aren't straight (i'm working on it ) but i don't know if it's really the problem.
Do someone have previous experience about this / go through the same thing and tell me how they did to fix it ?
PS : Since i'm in my room,i'm doing standing aerial ( from 0 step ) so i don't have all that momentun like a running one,but my pushing leg is really strong so i don't think that's a problem. I can send an image of my position in the air if you need it to make it all clearer.
Thanks for the future answers :)

Ouais, une image serait très utile. Une video serait encore mieux! Je ne te comprends pas tout à fait-quand l'on est renversée dans une renversement lateral libre/roue libre (quelle est la mot française???), les jambes devraient être écartées, comme la lettre "Y". Sans une image, le seul conseil que je pourrais te donner est celui: n'essaie pas de sauter haut, mais essaie de te couper (???) les jambes aussi vite que possible. Tu veut avoir plus de rotation, pas nécessairement beaucoup de hauteur.

D'ailleurs, je me demande si on peut avoir un fil de Chalkbucket qui discutent les noms des elements gymnastiques traduit en langues divers (J'ai trouve le FIG COP en français, mais les noms y sont soutenu et pas courant).

Desolée pour ma français, chuis américaine, mais bon, j'ai essayé!
--
Yeah, a picture would be very helpful. A video would be even better! I don't quite understand your problem-when you're upside down in the aerial, your legs should be apart, making your body look like the letter "Y." Without seeing any picture, the best advice I can give you is this: don;t try to jump up, but rather try to kick your legs around as fast as possible. You want to have a lot of rotation, and you don't need a lot of height.

On a side note, I wonder if there would be any interest in/possibility of having a Chalkbucket thread discussing the names of gymnastics skills in other languages (I've found the FIG COP in French, but I think that the terms used there are technical and not commonly used).

Sorry for my poor French-I'm american, but at least I tried!

Thanks for replying so fast and thanks for speaking french that was very good by the way !
I will try to send a photo in the coming days ( i don't have any now ) , i count on you to give me your impressions on it !
For now, without picture i'm gonna try to be more specific :

--> Look at this video and pause at 1:04-1:05 you'll know what i mean. I noticed that this thing happen a lot for standing aerial since you don't have all the momentum compared to a running one. So is it normal or is it a lack of kicking the leg ?

I think Pi-XX means that her legs are going around the side, not straight up over her head. You do need a strong and fast push off your pushing leg. For a side aerial, it also helps to try to push your head/torso down towards the ground so that your legs can go straight and high. It doesn't always make sense - you might want to keep your head high to get more height during the aerial, but you actually do want to keep your head and chest down. For example, here at 00:16- - she brings her head down toward her knee as she takes off.

It would help if you could take a video of yourself and show it!

Hi , thanks for taking the time to reply !

To answer you, look at the video I sent in my last message,of course it was not me but the girl is doing exactly what i'm doing at 1:04-1:05,look at the position of her legs and that will make sense ! So, do you think what she does in the video that i sent at the time i said and so therefore what i do, is normal or is it a problem that i have to fix ?

PS : i don't have problem i bring correctly my chest down but my problem is that, even though i kick my leg up, at some point it looks like the girl in the video and that's a problem ^^

PSS : What i'm trying to point out is the " sitting position" the girl is in when she's in the air at 1:05 exactly in the video

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back