Side aerial help

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Qiaoyin

Gymnast
So, the problem is not that i keep on putting my hands down, it is I keep on landing on the side of my leg, i can't seem to land on my feet.
If i try to rotate faster, i will always accidentally toss myself into the air even faster and land on the side of my leg even harder and more painful
Any tips? I've got enough height i think and i dun have the problem of putting my hands down, i think that whenever im in the air i just can't control my leg to kick faster.

Might send a video if needed .

A video would help. The best bet would be to get advice from yiur coach, but there are a few common mistakes that many people make with the side aerial that could cause you to be crashing in the way you describe.

Make sure you are doing a forward to backward landing cartwheel, not a side to side landing cartwheel. You should take off with you hips facing the direction you are going and finish facing the way you came.

The skill needs height but should travel very little. You hurdle high and then want to undercut yourself as much as possible, your first leg to land should land right under your nose, if you did a cartwheel with your hands down, your foot should land right in between the spots you put your hands down. You can put chalk on your hands and feet and do a high fast cartwheel to see if you are getting that right.

You need to hurdle with good height but when you take off pit your chest down low.

Make sure you don’t underestimate the dangers of a side aerial. A lot of people do because they feel like it’s just a cartwheel, and if they mess up they can just put their hands down. But it’s not quite so simple, an aerial is a skill landing on one leg, one legged landings are far less stable and secure than two leg landings. You are also travelling sideways, certain parts of the leg are not designed to twist so if you land badly you can do some very serious damage to your leg, common injuries are dislocated knees and torn ligaments, which may need surgery to repair.

If you are landing on your side then you are at a very high risk of doing serious damage to your leg, I would make sure you only work on this skill in the gym under the supervision of your coaches.

A video would help. The best bet would be to get advice from yiur coach, but there are a few common mistakes that many people make with the side aerial that could cause you to be crashing in the way you describe.

Make sure you are doing a forward to backward landing cartwheel, not a side to side landing cartwheel. You should take off with you hips facing the direction you are going and finish facing the way you came.

The skill needs height but should travel very little. You hurdle high and then want to undercut yourself as much as possible, your first leg to land should land right under your nose, if you did a cartwheel with your hands down, your foot should land right in between the spots you put your hands down. You can put chalk on your hands and feet and do a high fast cartwheel to see if you are getting that right.

You need to hurdle with good height but when you take off pit your chest down low.

Make sure you don’t underestimate the dangers of a side aerial. A lot of people do because they feel like it’s just a cartwheel, and if they mess up they can just put their hands down. But it’s not quite so simple, an aerial is a skill landing on one leg, one legged landings are far less stable and secure than two leg landings. You are also travelling sideways, certain parts of the leg are not designed to twist so if you land badly you can do some very serious damage to your leg, common injuries are dislocated knees and torn ligaments, which may need surgery to repair.

If you are landing on your side then you are at a very high risk of doing serious damage to your leg, I would make sure you only work on this skill in the gym under the supervision of your coaches.
I think your advice will help a lot! I will try doing the aerial with this advice on my next training on proper mat, thanks!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back