WAG Side Aerial struggles

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi everyone! In the beginning of the summer I got my side Aerial and then lost it. Now I have it but I keep putting one elbow down when I land it and no one can figure out what I’m doing wrong! It’s really frustrating cause I have my side Aerial but whenever I do it I bruise my elbow it’s just at the very end of landing it! Anyone have any tips? I’m suppose to have my side aerial clean by October because I have to do it in a dance. (I’m a dancer)

~ Emma Grace ~

Stop doing them on your own, this is dangerous. You need supervision of a teacher.

What does your teacher say you are doing wrong?

She doesn’t know what I’m doing wrong and just says I need more practice and thinks that will fix it but now it’s became a bad habit so I’m not sure what I should do and how to fix it. I am getting enough height so that’s not the problem I think it’s just my elbow keeps dropping. I do it fine on a trampoline...

~ Emma ~

If your elbow is hitting the floor, I would not be surprised if you were facing the wrong way. A side aerial needs to be done like a front to back cartwheel, not a side to side cartwheel. When you go into the skill you need to face the way you are going, when you come out you need to face the opposite way.

Can you post a video?

I agree very strongly that it’s not a great idea to practice these skills without supervision. A lot of kids think aerials are harmless because they think that if they don’t make it, they just out their hands down like a cartwheel. But it is not like a cartwheel. In a side aerial all the weight from a full flight skill is coming in to land on 1 leg, and that leg is at a funny angle, and if you do it incorrectly at can be at a really strange angle. It’s very easy to tear a muscle or dislocate a knee.

But it sounds like your coach is just having you throw them anyway. If she is not able to identify what you are doing wrong, even if you are in the gym you are technically doing the skill unsupervised.

Also just because you can do them on trampoline does not mean the technique is correct. The extra height the trampoline gives you can compensate for good technique and get you over with poor technique.

If your elbow is hitting the floor, I would not be surprised if you were facing the wrong way. A side aerial needs to be done like a front to back cartwheel, not a side to side cartwheel. When you go into the skill you need to face the way you are going, when you come out you need to face the opposite way.

Can you post a video?

I agree very strongly that it’s not a great idea to practice these skills without supervision. A lot of kids think aerials are harmless because they think that if they don’t make it, they just out their hands down like a cartwheel. But it is not like a cartwheel. In a side aerial all the weight from a full flight skill is coming in to land on 1 leg, and that leg is at a funny angle, and if you do it incorrectly at can be at a really strange angle. It’s very easy to tear a muscle or dislocate a knee.

But it sounds like your coach is just having you throw them anyway. If she is not able to identify what you are doing wrong, even if you are in the gym you are technically doing the skill unsupervised.

Also just because you can do them on trampoline does not mean the technique is correct. The extra height the trampoline gives you can compensate for good technique and get you over with poor technique.
[/QUOTE

Ok thanks! I’ll take a video of it when I have a chance and post it!

Go back to the learning process of a side ariel, do it off a higher surface then make it lower and lower until your on the floor. Dont make the height lower until you master it. Hope i could help

Hey everyone! My friend told me to try a different approach with my arms in my side Aerial and I was doing my aerial with my arms in before and tried it with my arms out instead and did it 2x without a problem then lost it so I think it’s just consistency and I’m going to work on practicing it with my arms out! Thanks for all your help! It was really appreciated! <3

~ Emma

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back