WAG Since we're talking about vault... Tsuk vs. Yuri?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

wgymmom

Proud Parent
I know pretty much nothing about the whys of either vault. DD has a poor FHS and I'll be happy when she can get past it. She's uptraining tsuks right now. We don't have many optionals and I don't think I've seen a Yuri out of any of the top girls. Vault has not been the gym's strong suit, but we're under new coaching very recently.

So, is it a gym or coach philosophy, which allows for more skills progression, based on gymnast type...?

Just as an FYI its Yurchenko not Yuri or Yura. That's a pet peeve of mine :) As with most skills Yurchenko & Tsukahara are named after the first person to compete them. www.nataliayurchenko.com & www.olympic.org/mitsuo-tsukahara

To answer your question, A Tsuk appears to be an easier transition out of the FHS. But the Yurchenko provides more options as the gymnasts moves through levels. If the gymnast is extremely powerful there are also options out of a Tsuk. Yurchenko drills usually start more than a year out from when the gymnast will compete the skill and many times 2 years out. Most gymnasts do not learn it quickly. I wouldn't want a coach learning how to teach a Yurchenko with my child, but that goes for most other skills as well.

Old gym never ever trained yurchenkos......never.......unless it was an athlete who came into the gym with one already.
New gym starts actually training them at L4 (in addition to FHS)..... they do round off onto the springboard and straight jump back.....L5 they do round off onto springboard, BT....also round off the spring board landing up on port o pit.....then RO, onto port o pit and land flat back......then the optionals start really training the entire yurchenko.

I like that they train lots of different vaults...I guess this way they can see who is good at what?

I have seen a variety of vaults at current gym.....all kinds, and I have no idea what they are called......lots of flips and spins!

In our gym the girls all learn the first half of Tsuk in level 6 and then polish it off in level 7 so they can compete it in level 8 (now that FHS only option in level 7 in Australia). Some kids also learn first half of yurchenko at the same time or in level 8. Our coach seems keen to move girls to the yurchenko for level 9 or 10 although the Tsuk has a higher start value until they can start twisting out of the yurchenko from what I can see.

Our kids don't always compete skills they can land consistently due to the values so this might be a case where they can yurchenko but actually compete with a Tsuk for quite some time.

Tsuk, requires speed and strength. Chenko does too but not as much. Conclusion, the Chenko is harder to learn but once learned easier to get the next level (lays/twisting) compared to the Tsuk which is really easy to learn but much harder to get the Lays and twisting, unless the kid has lots of power. However!!! NCAA vaulting rules have just changed (not sure when they take effect), making the chenko full .05 less, consequently making the other vault families a little more valuable. So that Tsuk lay full which was not really favorable is now favorable again (I think)... :) All the other Chenko fulls now have to a 1 1/2 to get that .05 back which is a lot in college but not so much in JO. In JO it's a .1 difference.

Thanks, coachp. That was very helpful info. If Tsuk needs more speed and strength, I'm surprised my gymmie is working on it!

Well.. Some kids may not have a strong round off or they are terrified of the chenko.. Making the tsuk the only option. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back