Coaches Single Leg Basket Swing

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymdog

Coach
Proposed for level 4 next cycle. I've never taught or tried this with straight legs really. What does everyone think? Do you already teach it? Can kids do it with straight legs?

I'd have to see what they are talking about exactly. What I call a basket swing is swinging in a compressed inverted pike position on PB. This can also be done on a single rail as a glide swing, pull to basket (toes through bar) kipping up to a support. It's often called a "jam" that way. What I'm thinking you are talking is something like a single leg uprise, right? Where one leg is hooked around the bar in a knee hang with the other leg pumping/swinging.

I can only assume you are referring to this -

Screen shot 2012-02-08 at 19.09.08.pngScreen shot 2012-02-08 at 19.09.27.pngScreen shot 2012-02-08 at 19.09.51.pngScreen shot 2012-02-08 at 19.10.05.pngScreen shot 2012-02-08 at 19.10.19.png

This is a very good, safe and progressive way of transitioning a gymnast from below the bar to on top - It shows direct relationships to the kip and would likely be a smart developmental addition...

I assume that is the skill proposed, however the proposed elements list specifies "both legs straight." This is the part that seems very difficult for kids at that skill level to me. It is not a jam. It's another option instead of mill circle. I was curious to see what others thought.

it's from the old days. the girls learned this on the parallel bars as well as the boys. good for learning kips. way more useful than mill circles and such.:)

Proposed for level 4 next cycle. I've never taught or tried this with straight legs really. What does everyone think? Do you already teach it? Can kids do it with straight legs?

If the skill is with straight legs, I picture the basket kip of the old days when I was a gymnast. It's a decent transition to the kip because the gymnast is learning the "pull your pants up" feeling of a kip. Think of teaching it like a single leg kip (what my old coach called it). On the other hand, it could be the single leg swing pictured by blantonnick. Either is a good progression. Of course, I would have to see what USAG has in mind before really knowing. :)

If the skill is with straight legs, I picture the basket kip of the old days when I was a gymnast. It's a decent transition to the kip because the gymnast is learning the "pull your pants up" feeling of a kip. Think of teaching it like a single leg kip (what my old coach called it). On the other hand, it could be the single leg swing pictured by blantonnick. Either is a good progression. Of course, I would have to see what USAG has in mind before really knowing. :)

http://usagym.org/PDFs/Women/Junior Olympics/2013-2020Finalelementlist-March2011.pdf

According to that link, it appears that in L2 (current L3), it will be allowed with a bent knee, but in L3 (current L4), both legs must be straight. It's also preceded by a leg cut, so I'm assuming that gymnast will rock back to that position, then pull back up .

It looks as though it will be an option to either do this skill OR a mill circle. However, I agree with dunno that this is a much more useful addition than the mill circle in terms of kip development

It's definitely a single leg basket swing, not a basket kip (although I would find that better than the proposal to have kip or pullover option, both with the same SV). The kids will already be on top of the bar when they start this.

Thanks, Nick. So it is, what I thought.

Steve Butcher often teaches a one legged kip similar to this. I guess you could it a 1 leg kip or 1 legged jam to stride kip.

Normal glide swing, bring one leg through and arrive on the top of the bar in a stride position.

Thanks, Nick. So it is, what I thought.

Steve Butcher often teaches a one legged kip similar to this. I guess you could it a 1 leg kip or 1 legged jam to stride kip.

Normal glide swing, bring one leg through and arrive on the top of the bar in a stride position.

Right, I would like it if this was the proposal (since there is still no incentive to have kips under the proposal).

But the kids will be doing pullover (or kip) and front hip, shoot through. So they will just be rocking back.

Maybe easier to teach than the Mill/Stride circle. Less head issues. I've never taught straight leg basket swing from support to support and only played around with the single leg jam/stride kip.

Maybe easier to teach than the Mill/Stride circle. Less head issues. I've never taught straight leg basket swing from support to support and only played around with the single leg jam/stride kip.

We had something like this back when rocks were invented. It was a good way to teach kids to use swing for the kipping action. Poor technique on the kipping action could be noticed from the fast food restuarant across the highway when the kids bent their front leg, kinda like a canary in a coal mine. It really does eliminate the tendency to "climb" and hug the bar during kips. And there is a built in incentive to keep your legs straight. That's all for now as I'm feeling a need for Geritol and a nap.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back