Parents Singlet help

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Flip4funmom

Proud Parent
Can this be stretched? Anyway to make it more comfortable? We measured back in August before he hit a growth spurt.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20180111_193944814.jpg
    IMG_20180111_193944814.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 172
Can you put any fingers under the shoulder straps? Like lift it up at all?

I have heard that using a sturdy hanger, hang it up damp. Then you place a jug of water in the crotch area and let it hang overnight.
Not sure if it works, but if all else fails, its worth a shot.

I have heard that using a sturdy hanger, hang it up damp. Then you place a jug of water in the crotch area and let it hang overnight.
Not sure if it works, but if all else fails, its worth a shot.

This worked for dd's comp leotard which was super snug! Now it fits more comfortably. We used a can of tomato sauce and the leo wasn't even damp and it worked very well!

I have hung up damp leos and put big jugs of liquid in them to stretch, but this isn't just a torso length issue. You need to take it out of the wash and put something in the legs that stretches their circumference. I have stretched leos many ways, and it can help a lot!

Yeah, I am not sure the torso is an issue. THe shoulders are not really tight looking from this picture. It looks like mainly the legs.

They are supposed to be snug.....but hte legs might be too snug.

Huh. I am not sure this is so bad? My youngest son does NOT have a body that is well served by a singlet- he is stocky with thick thighs. I always think his singlet looks too tight. It drives me crazy.

I think if it really is too tight and restricting movement or truly uncomfortable, and no one else at the gym has the next size up to loan, then getting it wet and stretching it any way you can makes sense and is not going to hurt anything. The ideas above for stretching are good and also maybe just get it wet and let it dry on your son while he runs around! I agree that the leg holes are what looks the most problematic, but you will have to ask your son if and where it feels tight. Have him lift his arms, do deep knee bends etc. Just be careful when stretching the thing to not rip the stitching. I mean it can be repaired, but that is just another headache to avoid.

But, looks can be deceiving. Singlets are a weird garment, and look very different on different bodies. Really skinny kids there can be lots of room. That is my older son. Everything hangs loose on him, even a singlet. But kids with thicker builds? Yeah, they look tight. There is no getting around it. Like I said I always think my younger son's singlet is too tight, even when measurements are all correct. But he is ok with how it feels. If this is the first time your son is in such a thing, it would probably feel weird even if it fit perfectly. Let him live in it a little before the meet.

I think hanging it with a can in it might still work, because it would stretch it just enough that the leg portion would be further down his legs where it wouldn't be so tight. Otherwise, if you can sew or take it to a seamstress, I would consider a small vertical slit in the leg openings to make them a little looser. (Disclaimer-I would absolutely NOT do this unless you are quite competent or have someone who is. The fabric is so different that I would want to make sure you had someone who could fix it so it didn't totally ruin the singlet.)

As Skschlag says, singlets are supposed to be form fitting. Can't tell from the picture whether it's too small; the next size up might be baggy on him. I second the recommendation to do the finger test under the shoulders before trying to stretch it. Another way to tell is to have him wear it for a half hour or so and see if he has red marks on his shoulders.

Boys new to team often complain about singlets, because unlike girls, most of them have never worn anything form-fitting and the only experience boys tend to have with uncomfortable clothes is when they dress up for religious events, weddings, etc.

Like Skschlag's son, my guy also wore his singlet proudly to practice when he was little but after around age 12 or so, shifted to the manly awesomeness of working out shirtless (which our gym allows). He has a lovely pbar bite to show for this preference right now.

My son was ok with it until he was about 12. Utnil then, he wore them almost daily. But now.....
Good to know! He’s only 8 and his teammates who wear it with no complaint are 10 and 11. I haven’t seen any of our older boys go shirtless, even during the summer, but I think our oldest ones are 13 and 14.

My son was ok with it until he was about 12. Utnil then, he wore them almost daily. But now.....
Yeah same here. He now trains shirtless with regular athletic shorts. If it's colder, he will wear a semi-fitted athletic shirt (Nike, UA, etc). No more singlets for training!

Yeah same here. He now trains shirtless with regular athletic shorts. If it's colder, he will wear a semi-fitted athletic shirt (Nike, UA, etc). No more singlets for training!

Ah. Due to Child Abuse Prevention Policies our boys are not allowed to go shirtless.....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back