Parents Sit back and wait or express interest

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Jillybean1415

Proud Parent
I’m really torn what to do here...my daughter is 6 years old and is fairly decent. Here are her skills:
Round off
Cartwheel
Backbend
Bridge kickover
Pullover
Splits
She’s also strong enough to do a strict pull-up

We just started at this new gym in September and if you had asked me in June If I would even write a post like this I would laugh because my daughter had about zero gymnastics skills. My daughter started cheer and gymnastics in the summer and she is getting a ton of skills in the last few weeks to two months. She’s pretty close to getting a back walkover. I know nothing about gymnastics and I really know nothing about our new gym nor do I know anybody who goes there. Some classes I feel like my daughter stands out where she’s the only one who can do a pullover or the teacher asks her to demo some skills. Today they did vault and my daughter is not great at that at all and doesn’t have any standout skills. My daughter said she wants to do preteam, after she saw them in class and wants to compete.
I guess my question is, do I sit back and wait to see if they ask or pick my daughter for preteam?
Do I express interest and say my daughter is interested?
I find this to be hard because I want my daughter to earn this so I’m leaning towards just sitting back and see if she gets picked instead of coming across as the pushy mom. However, I’ve read on here to express interest so I’m torn here...anyone have any thoughts?

Ask, definitely. It's a common belief that a promising rec gymnast will naturally be noticed and asked to try out for team. And that may be how it works at some gyms, but not all. She will definitely earn any team placement no matter what- probably initially but definitely once she is on team.

First figure out who you need to talk to, as in, who assesses kids for team or who refers kids for assessment. That person may or may not be your daughter's current rec class teacher(s). Once you have the right person, tell them that your daughter expressed interest on team after watching the pre team class, and you are wondering how such an advancement or step would work. Every gym does things a little differently. No rational person will think a mom expressing interest in this way is pushy. Once you experience an actually pushy sports parent, you will see the difference.

Also, the answer may be "not yet." They may have tryouts only in spring, for example, or they may think your daughter needs to be able to do such and such first. They may be in a hiring freeze and cannot take on new team members at this time. Whatever. In that case, find out how the process works, and ask advice about what rec classes will more effectively build the skills she needs. "Pre-team" can be a small or large jump from a typical rec class. It just depends how this gym does it.

This is another silly question but should I email them or approach the coach after class? I’m leaning towards email. I feel like approaching the coach could feel a little awkward.

Either is probably fine, though I get the impression you're building this up in your mind to be a much bigger deal than it is, like your kid's future somehow depends on your perfect delivery of this question.

Don't sweat it. You're just inquiring about the process, and they probably get similar questions fifty times a day.

Either is probably fine, though I get the impression you're building this up in your mind to be a much bigger deal than it is, like your kid's future somehow depends on your perfect delivery of this question.

Don't sweat it. You're just inquiring about the process, and they probably get similar questions fifty times a day.
Lol you are totally right. I’m more worried that I’ll come across as pushy and turn them off.

That’s great you asked and since yourself are already interested you can find out what their trial process is. Be wary of gyms that give you the run around. I had a rec coach approach me about team for DD and then the “team eval” Coach was never available or returning calls or emails. I’m glad I pulled her from that program and went elsewhere. It seemed to be more a Rec gym with a team that was an afterthought.

This is another silly question but should I email them or approach the coach after class? I’m leaning towards email. I feel like approaching the coach could feel a little awkward.
I absolutely remember feeling like this- you are not alone! Good luck to your daughter on her journey!

I’m relieved that I just got it over with. I don’t like stuff like this. But now I can just sit back and see where her journey goes and maybe it’s just rec!

It’s good that you said something and yes sit back for now but it’s possible you will need to speak up again sometime. I was so worried about coming across as pushy, and so convinced that if my kid had potential the experts would see it, that I ended up being too passive. Once she was finally noticed I got to listen to coaches casually mention her being old/behind for a while, or how they wish they had gotten to her sooner. Ha. But of course it all does seem to work itself out. Despite my errors my dd is doing just fine and seems to be on a nice path. Best of luck to your dd!

I’m relieved that I just got it over with. I don’t like stuff like this. But now I can just sit back and see where her journey goes and maybe it’s just rec!
It is a good time to sit back and relax, as long as your kid is enjoying her time in the gym. Not all kids will even be competing this year. And even in normal times, competition season would be starting and new kids wouldn't likely be moved into the team path until spring. But if you haven’t heard anything by March/April or so please don’t hesitate to speak up again. There is no reason a 6 year old with the skills you describe and a family commitment to supporting a team placement shouldn’t be on that path.

Do I express interest and say my daughter is interested?
This one... the squeaky wheel gets the grease... don't be pushy though.

EDIT: I just read the rest of the thread... you did the right thing.

In case anyone cares lol...the gym wrote me back and said they would keep an eye on her and see how she progresses. That sounds good to me and now I can just sit back, if she gets picked great and if not it wasn’t meant to be!

As others have said, don't be too pushy, but don' just assume it's not meant to be if she doesn't get picked at THIS gym. Some gyms are more pickier than others. Wait until around March\April, if you don't hear anything by then inquire again, and if the response is not positive or not clear, take her somewhere else for evaluation. Assuming you have other options in the area and assuming she is still interested at that point.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back