Parents Six months after retiring from gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Texasmomof3

Proud Parent
Hi everyone. I was just talking to my dd last night about how much her life has changed in the six months since she retired from gymnastics, and I thought would come say hi and give an update. Especially for kids who have done high level gym for a long time, the fears around "what next" can sometimes lead us to stay long after we should have left a gym or the sport altogether.

My dd is in 10th grade at a new high school this year. She was in an early release from school, six day a week gym at a high hours program and had no other extracurricular activities and no real school friends. Gym was her sport, but also her social life and her hobby. She retired as an injured level 9 in November.

Dd took a week to heal and then contact her high school's weight lifting coach. She walked in and became an immediate power-lifter, making the women's varsity team that day. She had never lifted a weight before in her life. She ended up being the Texas Region 2 6A all-around champion in her weight class and the only sophomore to go to state this year in powerlifting. She won the powerlifting award at her school's sport's banquet this year and she is the women's team captain for next year.

She also needed more classes to fill her school schedule now that she doesn't do off-campus release for gym. So the school put her in an advanced dance class. She has been a featured soloist in two recitals already and also is now the advanced team choreographer. She will continue with dance at school next year, too. The varsity drill team offered her a spot, but she declined, as she wants to focus on weight lifting and other options.

She decided to run for next year's junior class president last month, mostly just because she has never had the chance to do anything like that due to gym. And she won. So now she has to figure out what a class president does, lol.

And she's been accepted on next year's Academic Decathlon team.

She has also been on three dates. There was never time for boys before.

And she is taking driver's ed this summer. Yikes.

There is life after gymnastics. There is not just life after gym, but there is great life after gym. She is happier now than she ever really was in gymnastics, even when she was doing well in gymnastics. I'm so happy for her that she had the courage to decide it was time to move on.

Attachments

• JJ state.jpg
    JJ state.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 181
Hi everyone. I was just talking to my dd last night about how much her life has changed in the six months since she retired from gymnastics, and I thought would come say hi and give an update. Especially for kids who have done high level gym for a long time, the fears around "what next" can sometimes lead us to stay long after we should have left a gym or the sport altogether.

My dd is in 10th grade at a new high school this year. She was in an early release from school, six day a week gym at a high hours program and had no other extracurricular activities and no real school friends. Gym was her sport, but also her social life and her hobby. She retired as an injured level 9 in November.

Dd took a week to heal and then contact her high school's weight lifting coach. She walked in and became an immediate power-lifter, making the women's varsity team that day. She had never lifted a weight before in her life. She ended up being the Texas Region 2 6A all-around champion in her weight class and the only sophomore to go to state this year in powerlifting. She won the powerlifting award at her school's sport's banquet this year and she is the women's team captain for next year.

She also needed more classes to fill her school schedule now that she doesn't do off-campus release for gym. So the school put her in an advanced dance class. She has been a featured soloist in two recitals already and also is now the advanced team choreographer. She will continue with dance at school next year, too. The varsity drill team offered her a spot, but she declined, as she wants to focus on weight lifting and other options.

She decided to run for next year's junior class president last month, mostly just because she has never had the chance to do anything like that due to gym. And she won. So now she has to figure out what a class president does, lol.

And she's been accepted on next year's Academic Decathlon team.

She has also been on three dates. There was never time for boys before.

And she is taking driver's ed this summer. Yikes.

There is life after gymnastics. There is not just life after gym, but there is great life after gym. She is happier now than she ever really was in gymnastics, even when she was doing well in gymnastics. I'm so happy for her that she had the courage to decide it was time to move on.
Wow, so happy that she has quickly found her "place" and such a happy place!!

Such a wonderful update! Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to hear more about her continued successes in whatever she chooses.

I'm so happy your daughter is thriving and thrilled that she has such a supportive family and school network. Great story! Good luck to her!

So glad to hear the happy update! My daughter decided last July not to do NCAA college gym and changed her college plans at the last minute. She did participate in college club gymnastics on a very low-key level. It turned out to absolutely be the right decision for her- she has been so happy with all the other opportunities she has had and is really able to focus on figuring out what she wants to do with the rest of her life and start working towards those goals.

It certainly is hard initially to let go of a sport they love and which took over their lives and their family’s life. It is a great sport, I have to admit. However, I’ve heard soooo many truly successful stories after gymnastics and the girls could not be happier; less injuries, more time for other things and excelling in even more than one sport! College scholarships have opened up where it was unlikely if they had stayed in gymnastics. It is that initial step outside gym that seems so terrifying and sad.

Great to hear another successful story! Happy to hear your daughter is doing so well.

Thank you SO much for sharing! It seems very easy to get so caught up in the whirlwind that is competitive gymnastics that it's easy to forget what else is out there. The friends we've had that left gymnastics have said that it's just been the best thing, finding those new passions and success stories. Love it!! I will definitely keep your girl's story in mind when we talk about and eventually discover how much longer we'll 'chase the chalk-white rabbit'. Change can be unnerving, but it's not a bad thing. There are always new adventures to be found, and these girls are strong and ready for them <3 Best of luck to her and to you as you continue to explore these new adventures!!

Thank you for this! We are new to the sport and it’s fun to see dd so successful so far. But I read things like this and secretly hope she stops at L6/7 and gets into track, climbing or swimming or other sports. I’m not sure I want the all-consuming life of gym and I’m so glad to hear about all the other options to transfer the strength and commitment learned in gymnastics.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back