Parents Skills age 5

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Slc1990

Proud Parent
Hello,

I have a daughter who is currently 5 years in gymnastics. She can do backwalkovers, backwards rolls, cartwheel on beam, pull overs, back hip circles, pretty good with vaulting as well but can't stand up from a forward roll. Why is this? You would think its one of the easier skills compared to the other things she can do right? She gets so frustrated with herself and falls back on to her bottom and I just can't wrap my head around it.

She is five, sometimes it just takes time and repetition. I promise it will come, try not to overthink it. I also promise that this will be one of many skills she will have to work at for a while, gymnastics is one of those sports where skills can take weeks, months and even years (looking at you Mr Kip) to really get.

It’s not that unusual. Our gymnasts often take longer to master the forward roll than skills like cartwheels and pullovers. It seems like a basic skill, but doing it correctly is about on par in difficulty level with most of the other skills you have listed.

Body proportions may pay a role in this as she doesn’t appear to be lacking in coordination. The key is to get enough weight past the midline so she goes forward rather than backwards as she attempts to stand up. Things preventing this might include the comparative weight of her head to her body or her toddler belly or tightness of her Achilles preventing a tight tuck while passing through the squat position at the end.

If she’s still got the toddler body proportions of big head, little body, she’s gonna get stuck. This happened to my kiddo frequently until she grew into her head

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the coach needs to do a better job.

Basics and attention to detail are key.

(Kick yourself in the butt and lean forward... start by doing it down a hill making sure the entire roll in on the hill... meaning... none of it hits the flat part of the floor.)

It’s more of a momentum issue isn’t it? My daughter is also five and as soon as she started rolling correctly with her head tucked she started popping right up.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back