Skills For Level 8 Beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Also, 8s don't need a B dismount as an SR, although if they didn't have enough Bs in their beam routine they might need it to fulfill the value parts. If they have 4 Bs, they can do an A dismount. In L9, a B dismount is required. I would say I'm seeing a lot of front dismounts in 9 and 10 over the last few years. More difficult to land nicely, but a front layout is a B and a front full is a C. However in L7 and 8 here, CW/RO BT is still very common. Fewer deductions and better landings, and it's the connection you really have to work, so if you get a good twister, you're good to go with full in L9. Otherwise, if they have a good front layout on floor, it's pretty easy to switch them over at that point.

And another thing to mention is that the series has to start and end on the beam in USAG (this actually isn't true in some high school rules) so a CW BT or RO BT dismount does not fulfill the acro series requirement - just the requirement to dismount with a salto.

Thanks, gymdog, for all your helpful information. You should know that I didn't coin the phrase K.I.S.S. Syndrome. A coach wrote an article that was in the International Gymnast Magazine many, many years ago about this because of his frustration with seeing a lack of innovation in routines. I'm just trying to understand the reasoning behind it. I hope nobody takes it personally.

Maybe you can help me out. Could you, or anyone else tell me if the bar routine I am training for Level 8, meets all requirements? I'd appreciate it.

Mount (from board between the bars) Free Front Hip Circle, cast bent hip straddle up HS, 1/2 pirouette, glide, Reverse Kip to HB (catch mixed grip), Peach Salto, switch glide, kip, cast Free Straddle over LB to hang on HB (mixed grip), Straddle cut catch on HB, kip, cast straddle cut inward to Whipsalto dismount.

Thanks!

Mount (from board between the bars) Free Front Hip Circle, cast bent hip straddle up HS, 1/2 pirouette, glide, Reverse Kip to HB (catch mixed grip), Peach Salto, switch glide, kip, cast Free Straddle over LB to hang on HB (mixed grip), Straddle cut catch on HB, kip, cast straddle cut inward to Whipsalto dismount.

Thanks!

I'm not sure what you mean by all of those skills honestly or how/why the kips are catching in mixed grip, but you need 4 As, 4 Bs, a turn or flight move (peach salto would count but I think it's a C...it wouldn't be allowed in L8 next year), a 3,6,7 circling element (clear hip, stalder, toe shoot), and a salto or hecht dismount.

Right now it doesn't look like there's a 3,6,7 circling element. I didn't count all the value parts but it seems like it would meet it.

I'm not offended by anything (it's just gymnastics...and I'm not the patriarchy). But I'm not going to teach anything else until they have a good BHS, because it leaves very little to work with, just like on floor. The BHS is going to be an anchor even in higher level "innovative" connections. They're going to need to at least progress through it to back saltos and multiple connections on beam. At some point a roll becomes just part of the choreography and not a value element.

We have good beam routines - many of them in the NCAA, where I'd say you'll find the best - cleanest, sharpest, most precise, most engaging - beam workers in the world. But part of the search for precision is the hardest series, done correctly. For many that will contain backward acro. I will maintain I think USAG and NCAA should try to create more an incentive for series containing more than two elements directly connected, and for series leading up to a dismount (though they do, vaguely - if the preceding skill is a C, the flip can be a B in L10 and NCAA. I have occasionally seen BHS back layout step out through to full off. Trained with someone who did it as a matter of fact. But there's still not a lot of incentive to do BHS BHS dismount as opposed to a RO dismount, though I'd say BHS BHS dismount is harder)

[youtube]9K5IX5DIOGw[/youtube]

Love the one arm series. Grace Taylor also does it - to a two foot lay. I LOVE this routine. Adore it. Every single time I watch it, I'm surprised again at how GOOD it is. If this is an example of how gymnastics is going downhill, I'll take it. I like it.

[youtube]ijfSntDmHgE[/youtube]

Thanks for your reply, gymdog. I appreciate it! The Peach Salto is a B value, and the mixed grip gets me to turn in the right direction for the next element, rather than hop change on a swing. I liked the standing split hold to a front aerial in that beam routine you posted. It's nice to see something pretty and different. Thanks for sharing!

For this year, yes. I haven't heard if back tucks will be allowed next year. Right now, the rules for next year state that level 8s cannot do acro Cs on beam or floor, but I'm curious to see if there will be exceptions.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back