WAG Skills list

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

SouthAfricanGymnast

Proud Parent
Gymnast
We are in the process of relocating from South-Africa to the US. our WAG levels are different here, so I need to determine which level my daughter will be a in the US. Is there anywhere a list of skills per apparatus per level to assist me? For example for level 4 she needs to be able to do a hipcircle, sole circle etc on bar and for beam a flick, front walkover etc.

Any gym you go to will evaluate her and tell you where she would be placed on their team.
They don't let you say "she should be level x".
It might be better to say what skills she has because in the optional levels, some gyms require certain skills even though they aren't USAG requirements.
For example, on bars in Level 7, USAG requires a B circling skill from group 3, 6, or 7 and a 2nd B circling skill (same or different). Many gyms require giants for Level 7 even though they aren't from group 3, 6, or 7. On beam in Level 7, USAG requires an acro series and a flight acro which can be included in the series or done separately. Many gyms require not only a back handspring, but that it is in a series (BWO-BHS or BHS-BHS).

Bars:
Does she have a kip? If not, she would be JO Level 3 or lower or Xcel Gold or lower. If she does, go to next question.
Does she have a clear hip (free hip) circle? If not, she would be JO Level 4 or lower or Xcel Platinum or lower. If she does, go to the next question.
Does she have a cast handstand? This one is tricky. JO Level 6 only requires a horizontal cast, but there is up to 0.3 deduction for a cast not reaching handstand. In Level 7, the requirement is 45° from handstand with the deductions for being short of handstand. Without a cast handstand, some gyms will place them at JO Level 5 or Xcel Platinum.

Beam
Does she have a handstand (L3), cartwheel (L4), back walkover or back handspring or back extension roll (L5), an acro series (L7+, depending on the series)?
Is her split jump or leap to 180°? (Technical requirement for L6+).

Floor
Roundoff-back handspring and handstand-bridge-kickover (L3).
Roundoff- back handspring- back handspring and front handspring (L4)
Roundoff-back handspring-back tuck, front handspring stepout- front handspring, & Front tuck (L5).
For optionals, go here and click on Appendix 14
https://usagym.org/pages/women/pages/jooptionals.html

i agree with above that any gym you go to will test her and put her in the appropriate level based on skills and form, she may be put in xcel or jo based on the gym, if you are curious on where your dd is level wise before going into a try out i would suggest looking on youtube at some meets, just type in "level 3 gymnastics meet" and keep doing that all the way through level 10 until you find the level that most accurately fits her skills level, or you can search "xcel bronze gymnastics meet" and go through those levels. A lot of her level will depend on the gym she goes to and how intense they are.

I would just look up videos on you tube. Lol. Start with level 4, if she's missing a lot of that then look up level 3. If she's only missing 1 or 2 she has time to get those before competition season.

best of luck with your move! i hope you are able to find a good gym fit for your daughter.

Thanks so much, you have been a great help!! I've looked at some YouTube videos and it seems she would be about level 5 or 6. I will ask her current coach to provide me with a list of skills she is currently able to perform. Thanks!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back