WAG Skipping levels 4 AND 5?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I agree OR start having two different categories: first year and repeater or something like that. I hadn’t heard of the gym people were discussing earlier so I looked them up and oh my heavens! So many girls in compulsories for years and years! Many of them have done more than 40 meets in the lower levels!! I would lose my mind.

I would rather see a mandatory move-up score than different divisions for first-years and repeaters. There are all kinds of reasons kids are made to repeat. My perpetual repeater is definitely not in the same category as a kid who is held back to score 38s, and it would be extremely demotivating for her to keep coming in last all the time during a repeat year even if she were finally scoring 36s. Spending every other year coming in last is quite enough.

And yes, she is on track to do more than 40 compulsory meets unless by some miracle she suddenly figures out vault and manages to skip L5, and yes, I have already lost my mind.;)

I would rather see a mandatory move-up score than different divisions for first-years and repeaters. There are all kinds of reasons kids are made to repeat. My perpetual repeater is definitely not in the same category as a kid who is held back to score 38s, and it would be extremely demotivating for her to keep coming in last all the time during a repeat year even if she were finally scoring 36s. Spending every other year coming in last is quite enough.

And yes, she is on track to do more than 40 compulsory meets unless by some miracle she suddenly figures out vault and manages to skip L5, and yes, I have already lost my mind.;)

Fair enough! Just to clarify, when I mentioned 40 meets, I was speaking of kids who looked to have been held back for scores. Ex: a girl who has been a level 4 since Jan 2017 and scored multiple 37s the first season. As a parent, I just don’t know that I could spend all that money and have my daughter working that hard just for the gym to win medals/state titles. Girls that need to repeat to master the level are totally different in my opinion.

Just to clarify, when I mentioned 40 meets, I was speaking of kids who looked to have been held back for scores. Ex: a girl who has been a level 4 since Jan 2017 and scored multiple 37s the first season. As a parent, I just don’t know that I could spend all that money and have my daughter working that hard just for the gym to win medals/state titles. Girls that need to repeat to master the level are totally different in my opinion.

I did understand and totally agree with respect to kids who are being held back just to win state titles. I would not want to be paying, or wasting my kid's time when she could be progressing, for her to do extra time in compulsories just to win state titles for the gym.

I agree OR start having two different categories: first year and repeater or something like that. I hadn’t heard of the gym people were discussing earlier so I looked them up and oh my heavens! So many girls in compulsories for years and years! Many of them have done more than 40 meets in the lower levels!! I would lose my mind.
There are some states that at least USED to do 1st year and repeaters separately... and only 1st years could count for the team score ;)
In Ohio, the Y teams USED to have mandate scores where, if you achieved the AA score 2x in a season (and a specified event score on every event in the same 2 meets), then you had to move up the next season. We finally got rid of the mandate scores (which were low) because other states were killing us at Nationals because they could hold gymnasts back for higher scores.
Our mandate scores were:
L3 / old L4 - 33.0 with 8.25 per event
L4 / old L5 - 34.0 with 8.00 per event
L5 / old L6 - 33.0 with 7.75 per event
L6-L8 - 34.0 with 8.0 per event
They added the per event scores so you could have a lower scoring event and still move up if the other scores were high enough to make up the difference, but they couldnt be so low that moving up would be disastrous.
They allowed a petition to repeat ONLY if the gymnast was in her first year of the level, barely mandated, and had enough lower scores (before AND after) to show it was just luck.

We have a mandatory move up score for the compulsory. If you achieve the score at states, which is usually in September,ebr than you have to move up to the next level by the following January at the latest.

You also also automatically receive your badge for the next level of you get the mandatory move up score at states, so you don’t have to levels test for the next level. So they could skip the level entirely.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back