Skipping Levels NDP

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Just curious on people's thoughts about skipping levels in NDP eg going from Level 1 to 3. Does this happen often? Would you let your child? Thanks in advance :)

Around here level 3 seems to be the most skipped. (there are a few skills no one seems to like)
But to answer your question, if they had all the skills then yes I would skip them, definitely, no need to be bored doing the same stuff for a year if they can do all the next level things.
Depends how much you care about winning.

Thanks, I have no gymnastics background so have little idea of what generally happens. The coach approached us today to ask if we would be interested. My DD is motivated by learning new skills but is as equally, if not more, motivated by success so we are concerned that she won't achieve the same as this year (placed top 3 each comp, top 4 in team event). I've set up a meeting with the coaches and my husband and I to discuss, but I think we will just progress to Level 2. It also means 3 x 3hr training each week, have to balance fatigue with school and general downtime too! Thanks for mentioning the skills - I know it sounds naive but gymnastics is a complete new world and language to us, so we are unsure what a gymnast should be able to do with each level :)

You can skip any level up to 3, so you can even skip the, all and go straight to level 4. From level 4 you have to pass levels to move up, but skipping is still possible if you get the required scores, but not just an option for anyone.

It is common in a talented kid.

My daughter has spent a year in level one and a year in level 2 and will be doing level 3 next year. there is no talk of skipping for her. I don't know how she copes doing the same thing week in /week out - but that is par the course in the gym world. There have been so many comps in the latter half of the year they have just been training for them - they have State regional in November and from then on they will be learning more FUN stuff! - I often wonder with the slow progression we have here in OZ - but the coaches are adament that ofcourse they need all the skills from 1/3 to be able to compete 4 etc etc... We have a very small gym - and we have only 3 level 2 girls!! - and we have 8 level 1's. so they will just progress the group to level 3 next year - which i think will mean 12 hours of training... at the moment they do 9. How much training do your lower levels do?? My daughter will be 8 in January

The average in our area.

Is level 1, 2 hours if competing as a novice, otherwise 4-6 hours.
Level 2 - 6-8 hours (or four if competing as a novice)
Level 3 - 9-12 hours (or 6 if a novice)
Level 4 - 12-16 hours
Level 5-6 - 14-18 hours
Level 7-10 - 16-24 hours (average of 20)

We are in NSW - at our gym level 1 prep is 3hrs, level 1 and 2 are 6hrs, level 3 is 9 hrs per week. The higher levels I'm not sure about.
My daughter is 8 1/2.

And we have small competing groups, too. Only 8 level 1 girls across junior, intermediate and senior, I think it's the same in level 2 and 3.

I completed compulsories in the old system and skipped level 5 (this is the new level 4 right?). I competed 4 and 6, and then almost skipped level 7 too. Nearly half my team right now skipped a compulsory level so its not unusual. I feel like its more the gymnast and coaches' decision whether to skip a level or not. I hope this helps.

Hi All, thanks for you replies.
We met with the head coaches and had a good chat.
The gut feeling of her Dad and I is just to continue into level 2 and not skip it.
She likes the girls in her group, and she also likes to do well at comps, which may not happen should she skip, so my daughter has decided to just move to level 2. She was torn about what to do, because she loves learning new skills ...... but she also likes medals and trophies :) Oh to be 8 again!

The coaches were still supportive of her skipping but have agreed that we should continue on to level 2 if she has been undecided about what to do. The girls are starting the level 2 skills this term, and if she finds it too easy, the coaches have left the option for her to move up early in 2014 before the comps start if she changes her mind.

She also has a lot of heel pain after training (? Severs) so I think the extra 3 hrs training/week would have played havoc with that!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back