WAG Skipping lvl 6?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

At some point what level they are competing is kind of irrelevant though. When I see kids doing, for example, BHS BHS timer off high beam with near perfect form and technique, they aren't at a level 6 skill level (to me). Clearly they're training the kids as optionals after level 5...I know they do preteam until they're ready for 5. Then I assume they must train longer hours than is common in my (not as competitive) state.

That's not to take anything away from them. I think they have awesome gymnasts. Very strong program. But not the skill level you would expect from kids taking a typical level 5/level 6 path. I understand technically they are competing level 6, but for many of the kids in the videos on that channel, they are beyond a level 6 skill level - even beyond what you'd expect from a relatively advanced level 6 (I would expect an advanced 6 to have cast handstands, maybe single BHS on beam at best, and back layout on floor).

I actually rather like their model, and in my perfect world this is the way that I'd run a JO program. A "Pre-team until the kids are ready for level 5" system allows time to develop progressions and skills without wasting time on some of the skills that I (personally) feel are questionable in purpose in the lower level compulsory routines. Also, it minimizes the amount of time that kids spend in the (boring) compulsory program before they get to get their own optional routines. I feel that this method is most likely to produce L9 and L10 gymnasts. I'm not saying that it can't be done in gyms that compete Level 2-4, but I kind of feel that these gyms tend to burn the kids out on compulsories after a year of each of L2-6. Most seem to uit before they ever get to L7 (again, in my experience. Others may have a completely different experience).

I do understand that this is not the path that will work best for all (or even most) gymnasts, but in most areas, there are other options (such as prep opt, Xcel, etc) that are a "less intense" path to competitive gymnastics. It really depends on the philosophy in your gym and the goal of the gym.

In response to the original post, I feel that competing L6 is important to most gymnasts. The scoring is much more difficult than previous levels and I feel like it is important for kids to experience that "difficult" level rather than opting to skip it in an attempt to avoid the harsher scoring (Which I HAVE known coaches to do).

Again, just my opinion, and I'm sure that just as many (if not more) will disagree than will agree, but I really do see the reasoning behind some of what I understand of their program.

I'm no expert, but I think that, from what I've seen, it's a good thing for most girls to compete L6 and not just score out. Both L5 and L6 are important in developing foundational skills for optional gymnastics but also for developing the kind of refinement and precision that make successful optional competitors. My kids' gym will score a girl out of L6 now and then but most of them do a full year. (They also do not begin competition until L5.) From what I've seen, most of the girls who go on to L7 and above do well there not just because they have the bigger tricks, but because they look pretty polished across the board.

Again, just my opinion, and I'm sure that just as many (if not more) will disagree than will agree, but I really do see the reasoning behind some of what I understand of their program.

I have no problem with it and certainly see their reasoning and they're getting results. I didn't mean to imply otherwise.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back