WAG Skipping New L5

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

AlexsGymmyMom

Proud Parent
What happens if a gymnast does not get a mobility score in either the Old L6 or New L5 and goes on to compete New L6? There is a girl on my DD's team that left gymnastics for about 7 months and has returned but never competed old JO L6 (did xcel platinum with my DD for 1 year) I don't think the coaches at our new gym are aware of this and I don't feel its my place to say anything to them. I am really just curious.

When they submit her to a meet, the meet director will look up whether she's qualified to compete that level. They'll certainly find out at that point.

Does the meet director always look this up for every athlete? This is the judges cup meet. She is already entered and the meet is this weekend. I just do not know the ramifications if it is not noticed at all.

As a meet director, I don't believe it is my responsibility to verify that an athlete meets the requirements to compete a specific level; how would I know that? Where would I go to find the info? What I am required to do is make sure that athletes and coaches are members of USAG and for coaches that they have the required training and background check. I will double check this, but I have never verified that an athlete is competing the correct level.

I would think it would be very cumbersome if the meet director had to verify this for each athlete. I have not said anything to the gym....I just don't really want to get involved in any drama that may come from it! lol !!

Well it has to start somewhere. I think it is very unfair and embarrassing to the gymnast if it is not addressed before the meet adm comes up later.

Maybe they did a petition for her?? I heard from a friend that a gym in our area was going to try to petition in a couple girls from either gold or platinum. I wonder if the number of petitions is increasing a little with the skyrocketing number of girls in the Excel program? Are there any statistics available on this?

As a meet director, I don't believe it is my responsibility to verify that an athlete meets the requirements to compete a specific level; how would I know that? Where would I go to find the info? What I am required to do is make sure that athletes and coaches are members of USAG and for coaches that they have the required training and background check. I will double check this, but I have never verified that an athlete is competing the correct level.
It's been a while since I took the exam, and I've only ever done it for in house mobility meets, so never a "real" meet. I just looked it up, and you're correct. My memory is rusty.

Does this only matter for sanctioned events, and especially for state and regional meets? i.e. does it really matter if the gymnast only competes at invitationals and never a state meet? Just curious, for my own knowledge. I know mobility is important for major events like state/regionals.

Sanctioning is immediately where my brain went but I know so little about this kind of stuff. I mean, it would be horrible if the entire meet was called into question because of one girl. I don't know what the ramifications are across the board if it is an error like that.

Honestly, I'd sheepishly bring it up while admitting it is none of my business and I didn't need to know the details, but that I couldn't rest easy until I at least let someone know of the POSSIBILITY of this child being entered at a level that is allowable.

How old is she? There are provisions allowing entry at level 6/7 by petition if the gymnast is 14 or in high school. We went this route with one of our level 7s last year who moved from xcel to JO

So I did some checking. There are rules for competing in the wrong age division, but nothing about not meeting the mobility requirements going from one level to the next. When I think about it further, I believe this is really up to the club to make sure an athlete has met the requirements. While athletes are required to be USAG members and with that thier level is specified, there is no way for USAG to check that since scores are not reported to USAG. In our state we have a "tabulator" position on the SAC and each club sends meet results to this person. This would appear to be where the information is collected to answer the question. Now, does anybody ever call out a gymnast or a club on this? I have never seen it.

Is it possible that she scored out of L6 before competing platinum last year?
And, I know our gym has to send tracking information to the state every fall and I know the state verifies whether the required mobility requirements have been met. I do not know at what point during the season this happens.

Is it possible that she scored out of L6 before competing platinum last year?
And, I know our gym has to send tracking information to the state every fall and I know the state verifies whether the required mobility requirements have been met. I do not know at what point during the season this happens.

She competed with my DD at a different gym for about 3 years and they did Level 5 and xcel Plat together. This girl left the previous gym before they had the old L6 mobility meet this past spring. She joined the new gym after my DD so I do not believe she could have. She is 11 or 12 so not old enough to petition into a level. That is interesting about the tracking information being sent to the state, I've never heard of that before. Maybe she did a mobility meet at a different gym over the summer and I am just not aware of it! I hope so.

Maybe you could casually ask the parent, "Hey, that's great your dd is competing L6 this year. When did she get to score out of L5? What a great opportunity." If you don't think you could pull it off, it's probably best to just trust the gym on that one. Unless you are super-friendly with this parent or with the coach it might come across as overly-intrusive.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back