Parents Sleep Away camp... IGC

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

wheezy

Proud Parent
My DD wants to go. She has seen the facility because of older siblings and she really wants to go EXCEPT she is just terrified of the idea of sleeping away from us. She really is a baby for her age but I don't believe in PUSHING kids into these situations too early. She is 9.5 yrs old, has never slept away.....she would be 10 next summer. Anyone had this experience with their baby? PS. I know I need to get her a bit more used to sleeping out.....

Maybe get a friend round for a sleepover then let her go to the friend's house for a sleep over to get her used to the idea of sleeping away? Mine have both been doing that for years, and dd at 6 has just been on a 10 day sleep away camp (her idea) with no problems at all - I'm sure that spending the night at friend's houses first helped.

She needs to be happy sleeping away from home before she goes to camp for a week. So make that the project for the year. Independence and sleep overs with friends and family.

Nothing ruins a camp more than terrible homesickness. My youngests bff at the time said her friend cried constantly for her mom at bed time. Nobody was happy as that is contagious.

This was the first year my DD went to IGC, and the first time ever sleeping away from mommy and family for that long. 1 week. I think I was worse than she was lol. The first night was a bit rough as the counselors said, but the rest of the week went fine since she found a good friend. Once they find a friend out there it gets easier. My dd didnt know anyone at first but soon was having alot of fun! I didnt even get an excited hug when i went to pick her up! she just looked at me and said "oh, hi mommy" and went back to doing whatever it was she was doing before. Kind of a bummer. My baby growing up :( lol. I think your DD will be fine. Just get her used to sleeping away with a friend or someone first like mentioned above.

My DD had her first sleepover at a friend's house just a few months ago. March, I think. Then she went to Flip Fest for the week this summer. She was absolutely fine. One of her teammates was homesick and crying though. Oh, DD is 9.

I think I will have to prepare her for it.....together with her being a year older, she should be fine.....she is already planning it....

My Little Monkey's first year at IGC was also friend's 1st time. They are 2 weeks apart in age, so BFF turned 9 before camp, and DD the week after. Her friend cried all week literally making herself sick! She ended up leaving 2 days early, after spending one night in the infirmary.

If your DD is not used to sleeping away from home, I would definitely work on that over the next few months, before you register for camp :)

Agree with all of the above. Work on sleeping over at friends (or family if available?) houses during the year, if she can't hack those I definitely wouldn't consider camp. Pea has done IGC and they keep them very busy so she was exhausted at bedtime, I can't imagine an exhausted and homesick kid is a good combination!

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back