MAG Slippery Mens High Bar

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
S

shaolin69

Hi everyone,

the gym where I train has a lot of recreational non-gymnast types (mostly kids), they use the high bar for doing pull ups and also as a strap bar, consequently it's pretty slippery. So slippery that even plain giants don't feel safe. Girls put honey and sugar and water and everything else on their uneven bars to get them nice and sticky - but does anyone have any ideas about how to make the high bar feel "rough and grippy"?

Thanks for you help!

I've never seen girls use honey but it's commonly done by men on PB.

Whenever a men's bar/rail becomes a strap bar, the pvc for the straps system tends to polish down the men's rail. It's surface will become very slick. When this is done for a long time, it becomes a huge pain to rechalk. We used to literally have to rechalk every couple of turns. My guys never did feel comfortable with this bar for learning giants and flyaways off, especially compared to other bars we used at competition meets.

I guess you could take a wire brush to it in an attempt to add a surface back to the rail so the chalk can could stay.

We did sort of make chalk paste but with a slippery bar, it won't stay on for long. Didn't think about using honey or sugar but I'm sure the owner and women's HC would have had a fit since it would probably interfere with how it was being used as a strap bar.

or use course gritty sandpaper to make small grooves in the pipe. i'm sure being in Thailand doesn't help given the high humidity index you have at this time of year.

I'd be pissed if the girls used our high-bar as a strap bar. Totally unsafe in my opinion. We generally just spray the bar with water, then apply lots of chalk. Works for the most part.

I was pretty pissed but that HB had been used as a strap bar for years, maybe a decade, decade and a half before I showed up. Since they never really had a big men's program, that HB probably became a strap bar when strapbar usage got popular.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back