WAG Small, Medium, Large team???

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MickeyDGym

Proud Parent
I recently attended a meet and there were awards for Small, Medium and Large teams. A change from last year's just Small vs Large team. Is this just a Texas thing or USAG wide. Also where can I find other changes this year?

I haven't heard of that. We are going to a meet in Florida this year. They have separate awards for Small and Large teams. We have not been to a meet with different divisions for different size teams. Is it common? We have a small team and love the idea.

Reactions: sce
I think it's just Texas although in Ohio we do have 2 divisions at state: National and American, which is decided by how many gymnasts each team has.

Wow, never even heard of that in the meets around here (region 4). All I know is that a team must have at least 4 gymnasts doing AA in order to be considered for the team award.

Our state meet in MS had that. Our xcel gold team won 1st place small team with only 4 girls competing, while other teams were like 10-15 strong.

For a small team it's 3-5 (3 scores count), medium team 6-10 (5 scores count) and large team 11+ (7 scores count)

I can see why they did this. My DD team has 10 girls, while another gym had 20 and we were both a large team. It's not equitable when one team has more scores to choose from

Here in Region 8 it's common to have multiple team divisions at the bigger meets and state.

We dont even have team awards where I live (except if you go to a team competition of course, but there aren't many). I have never heard of different team awards

I've seen this at other gyms (on the banners on the walls) but I've personally never competed at a meet with team division. I'm in R6, by the way :)

We've only been to one meet that I can remember that had team awards divided by size but I personally liked it! Is it really exciting for a team to win when they're made up of 30+ girls and their competition is lucky to be half their size? I think Chicago Style meet makes coaches pick girls to use for team score (I think it's 5 girls and names are submitted before the competition). They can pay additional team fees to register another list of girls. I always thought that was clever - it took away from larger teams coming up with a team score from so many girls and also raised lots of money for their meet.

Lots of NY meets used to do Small/Medium/Large, many meets have gone away from it in recent years though. In the past even our (old) level 4 team cup competition was divided into sessions based on team size and the (old) level 4 athletes competed as one group for a team banner.

I haven't heard of that. We are going to a meet in Florida this year. They have separate awards for Small and Large teams. We have not been to a meet with different divisions for different size teams. Is it common? We have a small team and love the idea.
We went to a meet last year (in Florida) and didn't know they split the teams. We only had 3 girls, and just assumed we were getting crushed by the big teams.
In the end, we had 1st place team (small)! We were all laughing because nobody was expecting it :)

I recently attended a meet and there were awards for Small, Medium and Large teams. A change from last year's just Small vs Large team. Is this just a Texas thing or USAG wide. Also where can I find other changes this year?
Each state makes these decisions

In the past at our state meet, it was divided into small and large team. All teams are together now.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back