smelly competition leo-help!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I can't believe I'm posting this but my dd's comp leo stinks and I don't mean that it's ugly! Apparently she gets really nervous during meets and sweats a lot! I never thought to put deodorant on her because she's 8!

I always wash her GK comp leo in Ivory snow detergent as per the washing instructions after each meet. It still smells stinky in the arm pits even after washing! Should I use a stronger detergent? Obviously I don't want to ruin the leo. She's done competing for the season so I'd like it to smell fresh before I store it until next season starts (a good 9 months from now).

one of those things that you are meant to be able to spray to take smells out? we have febreze here - do you have that?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I wash my DD's Leos in Arm and Hammer no dyes no perfumes and throw it in the dryer - Never had an issue with the washing at all. Ivery snow just doesn't do the trick. Also do you store it in her gym bag? If so the bag could be the stink fest issue. Try putting some scented dryer sheets in the bag to change the smell of the bag too. You can put the leo in a plastic zip lock bag with a dryer sheet too and it will change the scent of the leo to what ever the dryer sheet smells like.

yep.^^^ my wife says to soak it in baking soda for 30 minutes and then wash as usual. then use febreze.

funny you posted this! I noticed my DD's comp leo was smelly in the armpits after meets and I have never smelled BO on her before - she is also 8! She had a meet today and I asked her if she sweats a lot at meets (without asking her if she gets nervous, because I think that would make her get nervous!). I suggested we put some deodorant on for meets and she agreed, admitting she does get sweaty at meets. The smell seems to come out in the wash though.

I'll have to try the baking soda. I'm so afraid of damaging the leo! They are so expensive and she should still fit in it another season. I have never noticed odor on her either! Certainly making her wear deodorant next season...

The leo does go in her team bag after meets until we get home. Her team bag is new and she only uses it at meets so I don't think it's adding to the smell.

I'm curious about the dryer. Have you ever had issues with the mystique type leos? I have accidentally put a few practice leos in the dryer and the heat ruined them. Even some of them, washing on anything but cold water has ruined them. I wonder why that is.
I wash my DD's Leos in Arm and Hammer no dyes no perfumes and throw it in the dryer - Never had an issue with the washing at all. Ivery snow just doesn't do the trick. Also do you store it in her gym bag? If so the bag could be the stink fest issue. Try putting some scented dryer sheets in the bag to change the smell of the bag too. You can put the leo in a plastic zip lock bag with a dryer sheet too and it will change the scent of the leo to what ever the dryer sheet smells like.

I'm curious about the dryer. Have you ever had issues with the mystique type leos? I have accidentally put a few practice leos in the dryer and the heat ruined them. Even some of them, washing on anything but cold water has ruined them. I wonder why that is.

First the Arm and Hammer I use is their brand of laundery detergent you buy it next to the Tide or other laundry soap. Its not the box of baking powder.

I wash them in warm and rinse on cold on a regular cycle with a Max Extract cycle (they come out hardly wet). I do wash all the leos together and turn them all inside out and before the current dryer I put them in on a warm not hot dryer. My current dryer we can choose the type of fabric so it puts the heat according to the fabric we choose - I choose delicates. Even going into the dryer I make sure they are inside out.

I have never had a leo runied. WE have had the velvet with the mesh sleeves, the mystique, the wet look, metalic look, snake skin look. You name it we have had a leo in that fabric and I always just toss it in the washer and dryer and never had an issue.

The leo does go in her team bag after meets until we get home. Her team bag is new and she only uses it at meets so I don't think it's adding to the smell.

That is what my DD does too but that bag can really start to smell even with just that. Those Grips and tiger paws really get smelly and that stink is in everything. After the washing the leo and warm up suit goes back into the bags for us so we know where it is and its ready for the next meet. Take a sniff of the bag you might be surprised - it doesn't take long for those bags to absorb the odor.

I'd be very nervous about any soaking- if you have light and dark color blocks they can run. anything white or silver can end up pink or skyblue. I try to keep it "wet" as short a time as possible. Febreeze in the gym bag is good, there are some little "balls" you can buy in the sports stores for your shoes- they can go in a gym bag too. I use woolite in the hand wash of leos and give a little extra attention to the underarms.

The gym bag smells great so it's not from the bag. I only dry her leo on air. I ruined her favorite leo (black mystique fabric) when it slipped into the dryer by accident. It lost all of the shimmer and it looked liked it shrunk.

Her leo is bright red mystique with a blue star and white coming off the star with crystals. The red could cause an issue with soaking. I bought the dye free arm and hammer today....haven't been brave enough to go for it! Maybe I should test it on another GK leo first...

The gym bag smells great so it's not from the bag. I only dry her leo on air. I ruined her favorite leo (black mystique fabric) when it slipped into the dryer by accident. It lost all of the shimmer and it looked liked it shrunk.

Her leo is bright red mystique with a blue star and white coming off the star with crystals. The red could cause an issue with soaking. I bought the dye free arm and hammer today....haven't been brave enough to go for it! Maybe I should test it on another GK leo first...

LOL that sounds like a plan. My DD's current leo is red mystique with White and blue shimmer with crystals. Its been through the washer and dryer at least 10 x's this year and noting has happened to it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back