Parents Smoky Mountain Gymnastics Vacation Classic (tips/feedback)?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

dbean

Proud Parent
Our gym is having its first out of state meet in Sevierville, TN. Other than some older posts/reviews (2014 and older) I have not found much about it when doing a google search. There was no facebook page for the host or event but I did find their wordpress website and found information. Still, was hoping for parent's tips and perspective.

Basic Questions:
•Did 360 events take over hosting the event last year?
•If you went in 2015, do you have any feedback or tips?
•Is anyone going this year?
•Are they any local businesses venuing there or working with the event (dining/shopping/fun)

Meet questions:
•Was it a fun meet?
•Does the Sevierville center offer decent viewing area so parents can see all events from most sections?
•Did all the meets happen of Saturday or did meets fall on Friday and/or Sunday.

Hotel Questions:
•Did you stay at the host hotel (Wilderness of the Smoky) and if so, what it worth the high pricetag?
•Did anyone stay at the Resorts at the Governor's Crossing and if so, what did you think?
•Did you find a group code on the host's website, does anyone know of one?
•Is there a USAG code for all hotels?

Because it is a holiday weekend hotels are booking fast so we are hoping to book this coming week. We are hesitant to book Wilderness because of the cost knowing we won't be able to take advantage of the water park. We are hoping XCEL gold competes Saturday so that we can stay an extra day (Sunday) and let the girls run wild there but most of us are driving up Friday. With it being a 6 hour drive we won't get to do anything fun Friday.

Thanks for any information you are able to provide as a parent, host, gym, or gymnast!

Our gym is having its first out of state meet in Sevierville, TN. Other than some older posts/reviews (2014 and older) I have not found much about it when doing a google search. There was no facebook page for the host or event but I did find their wordpress website and found information. Still, was hoping for parent's tips and perspective.

Meet questions:
•Was it a fun meet? We were there in 2011 and it was ok. Nothing very special about it.
•Does the Sevierville center offer decent viewing area so parents can see all events from most sections? If it was like when we were there (2011), it was chairs on the floor not bleachers or risers. However, it's not a large venue so it was easy to see all the events.
•Did all the meets happen of Saturday or did meets fall on Friday and/or Sunday. I remember that DD competed on a Friday (she was a compulsory). I would say it just depend on the number of gymnasts they have competing.

Hotel Questions:
•Did you stay at the host hotel (Wilderness of the Smoky) and if so, what it worth the high price tag? We have been there several times and the kids always have a blast. The only thing that I felt was really overpriced was the food. Last time we went, we ate at outside restaurants
•Did anyone stay at the Resorts at the Governor's Crossing and if so, what did you think?
•Did you find a group code on the host's website, does anyone know of one? If you can't find one on the host website, check out the Wilderness website- they usually run specials.
•Is there a USAG code for all hotels? I have no idea.

Because it is a holiday weekend hotels are booking fast so we are hoping to book this coming week. We are hesitant to book Wilderness because of the cost knowing we won't be able to take advantage of the water park. We are hoping XCEL gold competes Saturday so that we can stay an extra day (Sunday) and let the girls run wild there but most of us are driving up Friday. With it being a 6 hour drive we won't get to do anything fun Friday.

Thanks for any information you are able to provide as a parent, host, gym, or gymnast!

Basic Questions:
•Did 360 events take over hosting the event last year?
•If you went in 2015, do you have any feedback or tips?
•Is anyone going this year?
•Are they any local businesses venuing there or working with the event (dining/shopping/fun)

Meet questions:
•Was it a fun meet?
•Does the Sevierville center offer decent viewing area so parents can see all events from most sections?
•Did all the meets happen of Saturday or did meets fall on Friday and/or Sunday.

Hotel Questions:
•Did you stay at the host hotel (Wilderness of the Smoky) and if so, what it worth the high pricetag?
•Did you find a group code on the host's website, does anyone know of one?
•Is there a USAG code for all hotels?

We attended this meet last year! The MAIN thing to be careful of is the weather! LOL. We did fine on the drive down there despite the fact that it had snowed and iced all week, b/c they are very good about using sand trucks, but the next morning there was a fresh coat of ice on the roads! It was an interesting drive to the convention center for sure.

To answer some of your questions:

360 events did host last year.
Feedback (see weather comment above lol)
It was a fun meet but smaller than expected due to weather.
I thought the viewing area was pretty decent but keep in mind that our session ended up being a lot smaller than expected, many gyms did not show due to the weather.
We are not doing this one this year =(.
Our girls competed on Saturday, but I think they also had sunday sessions. I don't think they had any Friday night sessions.

We did NOT stay at the host hotel for this meet BUT we have stayed there before. It's very nice and the waterpark is great but its' not worth the price unless you think you will have plenty of time to enjoy the waterpark. We stayed at a holiday inn with an indoor pool instead and the kids got a couple hours to enjoy it the night before and the price was much better.
I think there was a group code for the Wilderness last year but not sure about this year. I don't think there is a special USAG code for all hotels.

I hope that helps! I think all in all you will enjoy the meet and hopefully the weather won't be an issue this year!

We attended this meet last year! The MAIN thing to be careful of is the weather! LOL. We did fine on the drive down there despite the fact that it had snowed and iced all week, b/c they are very good about using sand trucks, but the next morning there was a fresh coat of ice on the roads! It was an interesting drive to the convention center for sure.

To answer some of your questions:

360 events did host last year.
Feedback (see weather comment above lol)
It was a fun meet but smaller than expected due to weather.
I thought the viewing area was pretty decent but keep in mind that our session ended up being a lot smaller than expected, many gyms did not show due to the weather.
We are not doing this one this year =(.
Our girls competed on Saturday, but I think they also had sunday sessions. I don't think they had any Friday night sessions.

We did NOT stay at the host hotel for this meet BUT we have stayed there before. It's very nice and the waterpark is great but its' not worth the price unless you think you will have plenty of time to enjoy the waterpark. We stayed at a holiday inn with an indoor pool instead and the kids got a couple hours to enjoy it the night before and the price was much better.
I think there was a group code for the Wilderness last year but not sure about this year. I don't think there is a special USAG code for all hotels.

I hope that helps! I think all in all you will enjoy the meet and hopefully the weather won't be an issue this year!
thank you..we are worried about the weather too.

Haven't done that particular meet, but have done others in the area in the past. If we were going there I would look into booking a cabin with several gym families. They have some nice cabin rentals in the area and generally less expensive than hotel rooms since you can split cost.

Haven't done that particular meet, but have done others in the area in the past. If we were going there I would look into booking a cabin with several gym families. They have some nice cabin rentals in the area and generally less expensive than hotel rooms since you can split cost.
That was our first thought but was told by the rental company that February is an iffy month and though roads are clear still have to make it down mountain which they said would require a 4 wheelers. Would have saved a bundle too.

The meet has always been run by the same person...360 Sports is just a new name for the company

That was our first thought but was told by the rental company that February is an iffy month and though roads are clear still have to make it down mountain which they said would require a 4 wheelers. Would have saved a bundle too.

This is true! A couple of our teammates last year booked a cabin and ended up missing the meet bc/ they were on the mountain back roads and couldn't get out. We had enough trouble getting there from our hotel right down the road, so I can imagine!

Good point. We went to a meet years ago in Gatlinburg on Valentines Day which was also President's day weekend….it was a nightmare getting there and home and about 1/3 of the competitors did not make it…

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back