MAG snacks during practice?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

curlymop

Proud Parent
We started our fall schedule this week, and my son (6yo) has been an absolute beast after practice. It's the timing more than the length of the practice, I think. He's there 4:00-7:00, and we usually eat dinner around 6:00-6:30. By the time we got home last night, he was in full on meltdown mode. It was definitely a low blood sugar issue, because he was fine as soon as he ate dinner. He had this issue a couple of times last year even when they were only practicing for 2 hours at a time, and it helped when I started making sure he had a more substantial snack before practice. Yesterday the pre-practice snack didn't seem to help.

Another parent suggested bringing something he could eat quickly during a water break. Any ideas on what I could give him? I haven't seen anyone else eating snacks mid-practice, but I don't think the coach would mind. It would just need to be something quick that he would actually eat. Has anyone else had to do this or is my kid just weird? I have to get this under control, because I know it will be even worse when he starts school in a couple of weeks.

D is really into the Rev wraps/snacks. they are loaded with protein. He likes those RIGHT as he walks out after practice. That and/or a protein shake. And/or a banana. Emphasis on AND>

I would guess something quick and easy...cheese stick, banana, yogurt. Somethign quick and good.

Our boys get breaks when they are at practice for more than 2.5 hours. The trick is finding them foods that satisfy but don't give them cramps. I find nuts or cheese strings or mini protein bars serve my ds well. He still comes out of practice starving, occasionally truly crying when he was 6 because was so hungry.

Keeping gymnastics kids from ravenous hunger is a full-time job. They eat more than grown men and really feel hunger in a different way than mere mortals ;)

Grapes are easy to pop a few in their mouth and gives a quick, substantial sugar influx that brings the low blood sugar up. This was suggested from my daughters coach, especially at meets between events.

Need to think about getting dd to have a snack during water breaks. Dd has a tiredness melt down partway through afternoon training as she didn't eat much of her lunch during their lunch break, dd was fine as soon as she had eaten.

also, a spoon of peanut butter is about a quick as you can get! if you want to take it a step further you could make homemade power bars. i double the following recipe, cut into little squares and freeze. its enough to last us several weeks and they can be pulled out of the freezer and eaten pretty much right away. in the recipe linked below, i like using the honey suggestion and i love craisins in them instead of raisins!

http://www.food.com/recipe/no-bake-r...ower-fat-73754

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups Rice Krispies ( for a firmer bar increase up to 2 cups)
1 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup dark corn syrup or 1/2 cup light corn syrup or 1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup reduced-fat or regular peanut butter ( or can use Sunbutter, if allergy)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup dark raisin ( or can use either 1/2 cup chopped nuts or 1/2 cup seeds or 1/2 cup coconut)
1/3 cup mini chocolate chip ( to prevent melting refrigerate or freeze the chocolate chips before mixing in)

Directions
lightly grease 11 x 7-inch, can use a 13 x 9-inch baking dish but you will have a thinner bar.
In a large bowl combine Rice Krispies cereal, oats and raisins.
In a saucepan stir the corn syrup or honey and brown sugar until just at a boil.
Immediately remove from heat and stir in the peanut butter and vanilla until well combined.
Pour over the dry ingredients in the bowl; mix to combine.
Mix in mini chocolate chips (if using) work fast the mixture hardens quickly.
Transfer the mixture into prepared baking dish, then using slightly wet hands push evenly down into the pan.
While the mixture is still soft, for easier slicing take a sharp knife and slice into desired size bars.
Chill until firm.

And here's a pic of the last time I made them (doubled recipe in a 9x13)

10513447_10152626772406337_8294657560675768585_n_zpsa03873b2.jpg

Most of the facilities here are nut /
peanut free. Both my gymmies get a yogurt drink in their snack bag, along with some fruits. It has to be something they can ingest quickly because DS only gets about 5 mins for snacks.

Most of the facilities here are nut /
peanut free. Both my gymmies get a yogurt drink in their snack bag, along with some fruits. It has to be something they can ingest quickly because DS only gets about 5 mins for snacks.

we sub Sunbutter since my son is allergic and they are YUMMY and satisfy nut-free requirements!

One of my fave recipes for my kiddos:

Energy bites:

1 c dry oatmeal
1/2 c choc chips (we use Enjoy Life)
1/2 c sunbutter
1/2 ground flaxseed
1/3 c raw local honey
1 tsp organic vanilla

Mix together and roll into little balls. Place on wax paper in fridge til firm.

My kids also love organic turkey jerky or all natural meat sticks (Whole Foods), hard boiled eggs, or crackers and lunchmeat or a sandwich for quick protein.

One of my fave recipes for my kiddos:

Energy bites:

1 c dry oatmeal
1/2 c choc chips (we use Enjoy Life)
1/2 c sunbutter
1/2 ground flaxseed
1/3 c raw local honey
1 tsp organic vanilla

Mix together and roll into little balls. Place on wax paper in fridge til firm.

my kids like the ball shapes, too and you know what i discovered after making this last batch? it was so much easier to do balls if i pressed them into the dish and cut them first (like in the pic hove) and THEN rolled them. it made it so much faster because they were already all the same size and compressed real good and didn't stick to my hands.

Parents!!
Whatever you provide make SURE your gymnasts do ***NOT*** take the snacks with them back onto the floor. TWICE in my 40+ year career I've had choking issues during practice. On both occasions it was because of "snacks" on the floor. One of my guys dropped from a handstand on the rings - and the jellybean he was chewing dropped back into his windpipe. He walked about for a second like Frankenstein ("arms extended - bulging eyes" the other guys who were laughing at him described it) and passed out - doing a faceplant which dislodged the candy. On the other occasion the snack was a grape (or grapes which someone mentioned above) and I performed the Heimlich to dislodge it after the guy performed a backward roll to handstand - and stood up with the same face. They can't breathe. Can't talk. It happens - but should be avoided at all costs. The rules about no snacks in the gym are not just to keep the Cheetos off the FX carpet.

:)
Steve

A great reminder form sbonham. I think some kids shove a few bites in during water break and rush back. It's better to take 5 extra seconds and finish before heading back in.

A few quick snack ideas: yogurt tube, squeezable applesauce, granola bar, fruit strip

My DD is also like this she likes granola bars and gold fish. It has to be something she can grab quickly during a water break.

This is timely for us as we got our fall schedule yesterday- 415-815. They do have a food/snack break, so that helps. That, coupled with the 40 min car ride to/from school means I need to start planning healthy "on the go" breakfasts and dinners.

Thanks for all the suggestions and recipes! Yes, I will definitely make sure he finishes before going back out on the floor.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back