WAG snacks that provide a quick boost in energy

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

momof5

Proud Parent
For the last couple of weeks DD has been struggling toward the end of practice with her energy level. Her practices are 4 hours long and she has a snack before practice. Snack is usually Greek yogurt or cheese or nuts or dried cereal and then some sort fruit. I have suggested a quick bit of something before her last rotation and she usually tells me no that she is not hungry and there is no time. But after last night when yet again she spent her last rotation not being able to do her usual she is finally on board with giving the quick bit idea a try. I need some suggestions of some snack ideas the are non-perishable(so she can keep them in her locker)can easily be eaten and provide a quick boost in energy

My daughter also has 4 hour practices, but her coach lets her take snack bites every time they have a water break. I pack a bag full of snacks for her to pick from....Z-bars, Cliff Kid fruit ropes, apple sticks/veggie sticks (on the chip aisle from Trader Joes), the squeeze applesauces (that you drink), squeeze yogurts, dried fruit, etc. Our gym has the added restriction of no nuts, so a lot of energy/protein bars are off limits. Hope this helps!

I've been making those "back to school granola bars" that someone posted on this site (google it and the link to the recipe will come up) and DD swears they give her an energy boost. And they're yummy.

We're a big peanut butter house and my DD loves peanut butter toast as her pre-gym snack. I've also seen older girls with a jar of peanut butter and plastic spoon. ;)

Edited to add: Just make sure there are no allergies. DD always washes her hands thoroughly before touching the equipment - just in case.

My daughter makes use of Glucodin (pure glucose) tablets on the advice of a sports nutritionist. She has a second lunch before starting training, and two Glucodin tablets. Then part way through training she has a couple more. Without them she collapses onto us, completely spent, at the end of training. With them, she bounces out normally.

(They are called Glucodin here in Australia, but probably something else elsewhere.)

I always bring the squeeze applesauce with me because it is easy to just take a sip before the next event and they come in many flavors (I like the strawberry GoGo Squeeze brand)

DD does a lot of peanut butter as well. Chocolate milk is her favorite thing ever, but she waits to have it until after practice because it makes her sick to her stomach if she gets hot.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back