Snow Day

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Well... if you read the Farmers Almanac, we need to prepare for a frozen armagendon this winter. :D

Growing up in Eastern PA, 4-5 snow days per year were fairly common, not counting the dreaded "two-hour delay" that kids and parents both hate.

And by snow days, I mean, there is a measurable accumulation of the fluffy white stuff on the ground! In Missouri, it seems just the threat of even a little snow will close schools. Sheesh... back in MY day... !! :)

(OMG!! 2" of Snow Possible??! ACK!! Milk and Bread!!!!)

YouTube - liamtaraerin's Channel videos.

I hear ya TIm, we have already had 3 days off, my girls are home today sick and I got hubby to drive DS to school as the roads were too bad for me to do the hour long school bus ride.

We don't get the two hour delay thing, how does that work? Must mess with work schedules something rotten.

We don't get the two hour delay thing, how does that work? Must mess with work schedules something rotten.

Two-hour delays are made to allow enough time to pass for road crews to plow/salt and for school maintenance to clean off sidewalks and such. They don't count against the cummulative 'snow day' allowance.

Everyone - except school administrators looking at budgets - hated this announcement. Especially when your district is called as "delayed" and almost all other districts in the area are closed. And yes, they do botch up work schedules big-time. Plus, Once kids see(or even smell) snow, as you well know, there is ZERO motivation to go to school.

BTW: What a great sledding hill!

Last edited:
Our kids had their 1st snow day yesterday. Other than sleeping in, they really didn't know what to do.

Bog--Where we are there is bus service on a 2 hour delay day---they just roll around 2 hours later. Sometimes the 2 hour delay will be announced the night before for the schools to "buy time" (if already snowing) and make a close or open decision early in the am.

We go ice blocking sometimes. Basically you sit on a small block of ice and slide down a grassy hill. It's how we go sledding here. LOL I wish we could make big slides.

moves_clip_image002.gif

Last edited:

I hear ya TIm, we have already had 3 days off, my girls are home today sick and I got hubby to drive DS to school as the roads were too bad for me to do the hour long school bus ride.

OMG that looks the funnest thing ever!!!! We just chuck water down the hill so it ices up and slide down it on trays but that looks great!

We don't get snow days at all. Only sometimes we get sent home when the heating at school breaks :)

We've had a couple of 2-hour delays already. We are close enough to the coast where its a couple of degrees warmer here than in the northern part of the county where they've had more snow and ice then us.

My school doesn't like cancelling though, since that gives us snow make-up days which ruin our vacations, which neither students, teachers, or administrators like. Plus our district is relatively small, and no one comes from more than 3 miles away. So many times all the districts in the area are closed but not ours. Oh well. Sometimes students can get in but not enough teachers can. So those days we spend the entire day as "study hall" in the lunch room. My parents think that is a waste, so they usually either let me stay home or go into work with my dad (which is actually quite a bit further away than school, but its on train and subway which usally still runs unless there is a huge blizzard).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back