Parents So - another crazy gym parent(s) thread.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So, DD switched gyms earlier this month. On the whole we've been happy there. DD is the fifth girl in her group that is starting to train L4. The moms at her gym are actually pretty great and very friendly - so far. The coach is very kind and quite positive.

Well, DD's new gym has two campuses. For break this week, the girls from DD's campus trained together with the other group - it was held at the "other" campus. Wow - what a drive for one (an hour away). But there's a fair amount of shopping nearby. I stayed yesterday as my son wasn't with me and my DD was very nervous - it was her first time there. Boy, I think that won't happen again!

During the two-hour practice, there was a group of 4-5 "other" parents. Of course my DD and I were fresh meat so I was asked many questions. Some I felt very uncomfortable answering. I was asked:

a. What gym are you from?
b. What level was your DD?
c. Does she have her back handspring yet?
d. Does she have her FHC/Shoot Through/Vertical handstand on beam/etc/etc/etc yet?
c. Is it true the girls at the other gym gets and hour of dance, too? Upon my affirmative answer, she replied: Well, I don't think ballet really helps anyway.
e. Where do you live?
f. Did you know this is a far drive (uh, no, we teleported today...???).
g. Why did you leave the old gym?
h. Why did you choose the other campus?

This "other" group of girls is about 10 strong. I was also informed of the following, if you can believe it (without showing the slightest interest in them):

1. This other group ALL performed better at the meets (L3) than the girls from DD's gym.
2. DD's coach is inexperienced (this IS true, it's her first time now coaching L4, but she's done preteam, L3 and prep-op). They actually complained, out loud, when my DD's coach was spotting them on their shoot through/mil circle. And, well, everything else that she coached them on.
3. One girl got a balance beam four years ago (the kid is FIVE!!) and a bar last year. (um, that's nice???)
4. "Susie" has her kip, and her ROBHS.
5. So-and-so struggles with her FHC only because she's so darned little (she is six, and well, is smallish).
6. I was informed of each of their children's Christmas gifts, without having asked or even bringing up the holiday. I was even shown pictures on an iPhone. I was then asked what my DD was given.
7. They ALL frequently have private lessons.
8. They all critiqued their children and commented, out loud, about their kids' weaknesses and how they "usually do it so much better!".

And to note: they are ALL more advanced than the group from DD's gym. The "other" girls are also adding an hour of gym where DD's gym cannot accommodate the extra time for a few months yet. I admit that it WAS a little disheartening to sit there. It's obvious the coaching is a little stronger at the "other" gym. But I am consoling myself that at least DD has a smaller group, she loves her coach, she is comfortable there, and her coach seems enthusiastic and willing to learn. Also, it's 15-20 minutes closer to home. AND? The mom's at DD's gym are actually sane, discuss things other than gymnastics, and while they may watch, it's for fun and there are no direct comments on ability/future, etc.

Anyway, thanks for letting me discuss. I am now dreading DD's eventual merger to this other gym! It will happen likely after L4. I have feelings of shock and awe. To be honest, it sort-of made me want to run, a little! :dumbfounded:

Ugh! So sorry! It does sound like they were trying to make you feel... welcome? Or something?

These are good! Thanks for posting them!

Mamaoftwo,
Sorry...It sounds like the parents came on a little strong to you, but maybe, as someone else mentioned, that was their way of being friendly and/or making you feel welcomed? Now that they have fully interrogated you (LOL) during your first visit, maybe next time you go, they won't give you the 3rd degree and be so overwhelming.

Sure, dunno - laugh away. ;)

because i've lived this so many times over the years i can actually 'feel' and 'see' what you are describing. you described it just as it is in many programs. gotta laugh...or you might cry yourself to sleep.:)

Glad you were able to keep your sense of humor!! It will get you through the times with these over the top moms(and dads too). As you said eventually the teams will merge(sounds like Survivor!!) and I'll bet you'll find a few of the girls will have left for bluer mats somewhere else, a couple are on the road to burn out and some have realized that their kids will not be competing elite by age 10 and are actually grounded.
GL and continue to share!!!

Glad you were able to keep your sense of humor!! It will get you through the times with these over the top moms(and dads too). As you said eventually the teams will merge(sounds like Survivor!!) and I'll bet you'll find a few of the girls will have left for bluer mats somewhere else, a couple are on the road to burn out and some have realized that their kids will not be competing elite by age 10 and are actually grounded.

Exactly. So true.
Love the Survivor analogy, by the way.

Thanks, everyone. DD has gym with them again tomorrow. I am crossing my fingers for either (a) them to be a little less "crazy", and/or (b) one of the mom's from DD's gym to be there! SOS!

I hope that this was special treatment just because we are new and that things will calm down. Though I did overhear some of the parents talking amongst themselves, one-upping. That will not be a culture I will enjoy at all as I am very much not that way! Tomorrow I will only stay a bit as I'll have the little guy with me, so we'll busy ourselves for much of it. In the future, if I have to stay (by the time I'd drive home I'd have to drive right back) I will bring a book and be exceptionally interested in it!

Dunno, I totally get what you are saying. I think that because my DD was farm-raised with a select group of girls that all started at the same place at our previous gym, that this is just so foreign to me! The families knew each other so well and were, well, nearly family to each other so there was very little competition or craziness there. And at DD's campus (her "new" gym), the parents are very laid back, as well (at least - this has been my experience thus far!). Holy culture shock, Batman!

Oh, Bog, you made my day! I particularly loved the one with the little girl in the supermarket. I think I watched it a good half-dozen times! lol. The pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey was cute, too, "Get your own ride home". lol.

While I got quite the chuckle out of it, it's sad that this is required!

There was a gym mom that cut the heads off all her dd's beanie babies for falling off beam at a meet. Go figure!

No... Bog is NOT joking!!! I think this mom got the idea from watching "Fatal Attraction!" I guess she thought she would "teach her daughter a lesson," but I'm sure the lesson learned was not what mom intended!!!

At any rate, welcome to the seriously competitive world of gymnastics!!! There will be crazies upon crazies in this sport (as in any other competitive sport). The best thing is to distance yourself if possible. This type of environment is contagious and toxic! Unfortunately, the little ones pick up on this pressure and craziness and it's not pretty either!

mamaoftwo...I thought you might be at our "old" gym when I was reading your post but then I noted that you are in the Midwest (and I am not) so rest assured, there are crazy gym moms and dads across the country!!

I also noticed that you said that these kids are coming off a Level 3 season and now doing 4 and this is how the parents act?! Seriously, don't pay any attention to them, get yourself a good book, put head phones on (even if you're listening to nothing, they'll likely not engage you in their ridiculous drivel..) and ignore them. With the way they are acting at Level 4, their kids are likely to flame out before they hit optionals...as Dunno said, it's a familiar scenario, unfortunately.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back