So Excited!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My coach (gym owner) has started a pre team at the gym this summer, and I have been coaching it with a wonderful mom of one of my teammates! There are 11 girls; most of them are ages 5-8 and have been in gymnastics for about a year or so. Recently my coach told me to start working on level 3 routines with them, but I was skeptical because many of the girls on our team are just starting the level 3 routines, so I thought pre team would be doing level 1 or 2. Anyway, today we started teaching them the level 3 floor routine and they did AWESOME! I was so impressed with how quickly they caught on! It was the first day that they did handstand rolls, but they looked great. Many of them also learned their kickovers for the first time, and some even had straight legs already!! The roundoffs and backward rolls were looking great too!

We were so impressed that we decided to let them try some backhandsprings, and 2 girls got it all by themselves down the incline! I was so excited, and of course they were too! They just kept right on doing them! No one even wanted to go to snack break :)

Later we went to bars, and I was working with a girl on her level 3 routine. Just for fun I decided to let her try a front hip circle, and after instructing her to keep her hips on the bar, look straight ahead, and push down, SHE GOT IT! It was maybe her 6th try. She didn't even know what a front hip circle was until today, but she got it so quickly! It was so fun to watch her face light up when she realized how close she was, and even more fun when she got it!! She's usually very quiet, and doesn't show much emotion, so it was really fun to see her get excited.

All the girls were excited today, and it has been so cool to see them improving. I just love watching their faces light up when they get a new skill or something "clicks" with them when their working on a skill! It's so rewarding to see kids loving gymnastics so much because I know that feeling from my own experiences :)

Just thought I'd share this because it made my day! I can't wait to go with them to some fun meets this year!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back