Parents so frustrated with gym schedule and so sad

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Tulip811

Proud Parent
We were just given a tentative fall practice schedule for Xcel. they've changed practices two weekdays and one weekend day to three weekdays. Also they moved practice from 5:30 start time to a 4:30 start time. I work full time and there is no way I can get dd to the gym by 4:30. no way at all. Plus we specifically chose Xcel over JO to allow more balance, time for school work and other activities. three weekdays with practice at 4:30 doesn't allow for any of that. I'm so frustrated. I'm going to have to try to find some other place for dd. She is going to be so sad to leave her gym and her team. I'm just sick over this.

I find gym schedule changes can be very disruptive. Even small ones! It is really hard when there are major differences.

If it is a tentative schedule, have you mentioned to the coach that this schedule is much different than you expected, and explain your difficulties? Maybe you are not the only family that is not happy, and maybe they will change something, if they hear enough complaints?

That said, as long as my kids have been in gymnastics, practice for some groups starts as soon as kids can reasonably get there after school- so, around 3:30-4:30, with other groups starting practice more like 5:30 or 6. Depending on a person's work schedule/commute, any of those times might be impossible to personally drive a child to gym. So, this does not sound like an unusual problem to me. Most parents work, although of course some have more flexible schedules. Many families need to arrange a carpool situation to make it work.

We have not had to carpool for gym practice much, but we have for school. BIG TIME. It is amazing sometimes once you start asking around how things can work out. It might not even be another gym family you find to carpool with, it might be that there is a parent at your dd's school who is happy to bring your dd to the gym, if you can take thier kid to something some other time, or you can instead trade a night of baby sitting, or tutoring, etc?

Obviously there may be a factor I am not aware of, like the gym is an hour away from you, or something. But if not, it sounds like the gym is one your dd would be unhappy leaving. The major issue is getting her to practice at 4:30. The earlier start time may or may not be a solvable issue, but I would suggest look to solve that problem before deciding there is no option but to leave the gym. If that problem is solvable, maybe you will find that overall, this practrice schedule works out ok for your daughter and family after all.

Maybe they have changed the weekend day to three weekdays as parents had other sports to take their children to or to spend more time with them on weekends. What may not suit some people suit others more. It’s really hard to create a schedule that is suitable to everyone. And I think instead of ranting and pulling the child out. Coming up with a reasonable compromise such as carpools or speak to the coach to come later. Unfortunately with any competition programs coaches have to make changes at times. The only real time the parent can be In charge fully of specific times of training is in recreational classes. Otherwise with competitive classes you have to follow the program the coaches have so that all children in the team are there together and staff don’t have to teach the same thing everyday because one child missed out and they have to repeat themselves

Maybe they have changed the weekend day to three weekdays as parents had other sports to take their children to or to spend more time with them on weekends. What may not suit some people suit others more. It’s really hard to create a schedule that is suitable to everyone. And I think instead of ranting and pulling the child out. Coming up with a reasonable compromise such as carpools or speak to the coach to come later. Unfortunately with any competition programs coaches have to make changes at times. The only real time the parent can be In charge fully of specific times of training is in recreational classes. Otherwise with competitive classes you have to follow the program the coaches have so that all children in the team are there together and staff don’t have to teach the same thing everyday because one child missed out and they have to repeat themselves
I didn't find OP to be ranting, just frustrated and venting. Sometimes it works out and sometimes the change it forces works out for the best.

I didn't find OP to be ranting, just frustrated and venting. Sometimes it works out and sometimes the change it forces works out for the best.
I feel like it’s the same thing. There was no question on what to do. Just a rant / frustration

But it seems you have gotten the main reasoning of my post. I used one adjective to describe the type of post. Which you also used that is a similar adjective. But the main objective of my post was to say that even though the changes may not suit the op they may suit other families in the child’s squad and therefore unless is in a recreational class where you choose what day you want your child to attend. Any competitive squad will have specific days which may not suit all families. No need to pull the child out prior to assessing other possibilities such as carpool or arriving later to practice. Such as my original post stated instead of taking one word out of my original post

I can see why you are frustrated, especially since the old schedule works out better for you. Would it be possible for your DDs school bus to drop her off at the gym? Some kids here are able to do that (but they either attend a private school or are in the same school district where the gym is located). Can you carpool with someone? Maybe the coach can give you the names of girls in the other levels who live in your area.

I would definitely talk to the coach and explain the situation. Maybe they would allow her to train with a comparable JO level or if multiple people talk to them, they would consider revising the schedule.

Hope it works out for you!

I don't blame you at all for being upset. Our Xcel has the same (former) schedule you had, and if we had a change like that to the schedule it would be very, very hard for us too, with me working full time. I hear you and your frustration! I hope things can work out, and the tentative schedule ends up going back, or to something more workable for you. It would stink to have to change gyms over it.

Unfortunately her school does not have a school bus and is located about 15mi (30 min drive thru city traffic) from the gym. We tried setting up carpool last year but there was only one girl even remotely close to our neighborhood. That girl is in a different level and they have proposed a fall schedule that has all levels on different days or on same day with different start/end times). They have truly made this difficult.

I don't blame you at all for being upset. Our Xcel has the same (former) schedule you had, and if we had a change like that to the schedule it would be very, very hard for us too, with me working full time. I hear you and your frustration! I hope things can work out, and the tentative schedule ends up going back, or to something more workable for you. It would stink to have to change gyms over it.

Thanks for your understanding. we've been at the gym 1 year and this is the fourth time/day switch. Started off T/Th 5-7:30 then switched to t?Th 5:30-8:30 then for summer switched to T/W/Th 4:30-7:30. This summer I haven't been able to get her there before 5:30 bc of both her camp scheduled that I enrolled her last February and because of my work schedule.

As a full time working mom with two kids and a dog I'm exhausted with all the scheduleing and rescheduleing. I asked for summer schedule in February. they had no idea. so I signed her up for camp as I need childcare. then in JUNE they announce the summer schedule. I've been asking for the fall schedule since June since school requires sign up for extracurriculars then (so they can hire and arrange the right number of teachers/coaches over the summer) and now end of July they give us schedule that starts August 19th.

There are two other gyms with excel teams I called them both this morning and one is full, won't take more girls. the other didn't have anyone there that could answer my questions. I did find a third gym that has a GIJO team. I have no idea what that is.

Its just heartbreaking. I'll try to work with our current gym but based on past experience I'm not optimistic that they will be flexible. It just feels like a punch to the gut.

It stinks when gyms don’t consider what they’re doing to families when they change the schedule from year to year or season to season. I’m sorry your daughter will have to suffer due to it. We’ve always been in the no-carpool- possible space too. No one ever lived even remotely close to us. Even now with my younger DD’s dance, we travel an hour each way and there is not one single person to carpool with. I commiserate that it sucks.

This does stink and we've been there as well. I feel for you and hope you can find a solution that works for your family.

Unfortunately sometimes the schedule has to change due to a coaching schedule conflict. This is a 2nd job for many of our coaches. Sometimes they take "sick" or vacation days from their first job to go to meets. Others have to work around a spouse or family member schedule to care for their own kids. The gym does the best they can to fit the schedules to keep these good coaches.

To be fair, they didn’t add more hours, just changed day and time. Also, I have never heard of a gymnastics gym that has its summer schedule out in February or it’s fall schedule out in June. I understand it’s difficult for your family, just be aware that the next gym will most likely have schedule shifts as well, especially spring to summer and summer to fall. I don’t know if you could find another club sports that is any different.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back