Parents So how is it going?....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Now that summer is over and competitions are starting how goes the training?

What level is your dd competing? - L4

Are they ready to compete? - Not yet. I'm a little worried about this. Her 1st meet is right before Thanksgiving, and she doesn't know all of the floor and beam routines yet. She's got the first half of the routines down, but she doesn't really know the last half yet.

Any skills giving them trouble? - No. She's got the skills, but she needs to stay tight

What do you think will be their strongest event will be? - Definitely Vault followed by bars, if she can stay tight!

What do you think their weakest event will be?
- Not sure about this one. Maybe floor just because she sometimes rushes through it and doesn't take the time to finish things. It could also be bars if she doesn't stay tight.

Mom2gymgirls: Is your DD very flexible (especially in her back). My dd is and has trouble staying tight on vault and bars. When she is tight, her vault is great (9's) and when she is loosy goosy it is ugly. It is very inconsistant. In L4 it was not that much of an issue. It was very edivent in l5. L6 vault is the same as l5 so I think it will be an issue again this year.

Mom2gymgirls: Is your DD very flexible (especially in her back). My dd is and has trouble staying tight on vault and bars. When she is tight, her vault is great (9's) and when she is loosy goosy it is ugly. It is very inconsistant. In L4 it was not that much of an issue. It was very edivent in l5. L6 vault is the same as l5 so I think it will be an issue again this year.

The vault is the same (FHS), but there is an expectation that the gymnast has advanced on the vault for L6. Therefore the scoring is much more stringent.

What Level is your DD competing? DD competed level 5 last year. Levels haven't been determined yet for this year, but I'm assuming that she'll be a level 6.

Are they ready to compete? The girls are working on skills. They haven't started working on routines yet. Also, the meet schedule hasn't been posted. We have a new director this year and I really like that she has levels 5-10 working out together and in groups. The new director is not new to the gym and I'm sure she has a plan for each level to get them ready. Maybe our competitive season will start a little later this year, I don't know yet. There hasn't been any communication, but the coaches and girls are working hard.

Any skills giving them trouble? DD's having trouble building confidence in her back walkover. I'm sure that she'll get over it. She sometimes takes longer to get a skill and then owns it. Last year she had trouble with her kip. Bars wound up being her strongest event.

What do you think their strongest event will be? I think the trend from the last year will continue with bars and floor being the strongest. she's incredibly strong for her size and build (she's all legs).

What do you think their weakest event will be? I think that vault will continue to be the weakest. Although she has gotten her scores up, she still needs to get used to running as fast as she can into a stationary object:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that summer is over and competitions are starting how goes the training? I think it's actually gotten a bit easier, for now anyway. They really focus on conditioning over the summer but now it's a lot of routines and specific skills.

What level is your dd competing? Level 5

Are they ready to compete? I think she's ready. I think she's gained more confidence in herself and her abilities over the summer. Her skills are now catching up to some of the older girls.

Any skills giving them trouble? She still has trouble with the squat-on on the low bar. She got her kip and has been doing that routinely, with straight arms. I think she's sticking her butt out too far on the squat-on.

What do you think will be their strongest event will be? Floor or Vault. I'd say beam but I haven't seen her work on it lately.

What do you think their weakest event will be? Bars!

Now that summer is over and competitions are starting how goes the training?

What level is your dd competing? Level 4 in January (fingers crossed)

Are they ready to compete? She has only done class meets so it will be a little change for her to compete against other gyms.

Any skills giving them trouble? She got her first rips on bars (they wont let her use grips yet) so she is a little wary of bars right now.

What do you think will be their strongest event will be? Vault and Beam

What do you think their weakest event will be? Bars

Now that summer is over and competitions are starting how goes the training? Training for Emily is going great. She has all her level 5 skills, a handful of level 6 skills and a standing back tuck and ariels too. She is working at the back walkover back handspring combo on low beams now too.
Madi is doing great too:)
She has such cute form. I really enjoy watching her poise and style

What level is your dd competing? Emily(9) level 5 first year
Madison (6) level 3 first year competing

Are they ready to compete? Yes for the most part. We are perfecting routines now but we don't compete till december for the first time

Any skills giving them trouble? Emily- consistant cartwheels on beam that is it...
Madison... mmmmmm not much for level 3 except vault

What do you think will be their strongest event will be? Emily-Floor and Beam like last year unless she falls on that cartwheel of course but her dance and grace looks beautiful
Madison... Floor

What do you think their weakest event will be? Emily: none really she is pretty strong all around right now...
Madi: vault and possibly bars.

What Level is your daughter competing:She is still hoping to compete Level 9.Maybe they start out as Level 8 and then switch during competition season.
Are they ready to compete:Has her skills on floor,beam and vault.Just needs to clean them up.
Any skills giving them trouble:Still needs to get her overshoot and doubleback on bars.
We were gone for 4 weeks over summer break.So she missed some training.
What do you think there strongest event will be:Floor and vault.
What do you think their weakest event will be:Bars

I hadn't thought about this. Yes, she is very flexible in her back and shoulders. No so much with her legs.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back