so- how much can you do with a cast?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A

alisonslp

I caught dd (one day in her cast) attempting to cut cardboard with kitchen scissors - with her casted hand! :eek:

So - since I know there have been a lot of cast wearers here - how much is too much?

I told her this was not a good idea to place too much pressure on that hand, especially so soon. I suppose I should call the ortho on Monday. It never occurred to me to ask about specifics.

For instance - writing, cutting with a knife, carrying things with that hand. Is it just a matter of "if it hurts, don't do it"?

Alison

Hard to keep her from using it if its her dominant hand. Writing is ok, but the cutting with scissors etc. is probably pushing it a little for the first couple of weeks. One problem may be the cast is slightly loose and that is allowing her to get more movement in her hand than she should. If in doubt, have her go back to see the doc.

It's hard to say. If it is her dominant hand then I would consult the doctor as to what specific actions are okay, because it probably depends on the placement and kind of break. I broke my foot and walked on it before it was casted, it was kind of weird and it definitely hurt but I actually did it by twisting my foot stepping off something and initially it felt to me kind of like when you hit your funny bone and it hurts a lot but goes away. Then I realized my foot was really weak and it still wasn't going away. After it was casted, I walked on it the next day and they said that was fine. I remember it burning/feeling weird at first then that went away as I walked on it. It was on the side of my foot in a place that was not huge weight bearing so I think that's why they said it was okay relatively soon, but they also did recommend obviously I take it easy and only walk where necessary.

Hi,

If I understood you from your previous posts, your daughter has fractured her radius. The motions that she can manage with her fingers while her wrist is immobilized are, I think, likely to be fine. You should, of course, check with her physiciain, but I don't think you need to worry about what she is doing as long as the movements are not painful.

My child broke two metacarpals (nearly full-length spiral fractures) , and she was still able to do a few things with her hand during the three weeks that she was in a cast; the hand surgeon and the therapist encouraged her to do as much as she could as soon as possible--their idea was to quickly move her from a cast to a splint--but I don't remember her starting the first day that she was in a cast. . . .

Hi,

If I understood you from your previous posts, your daughter has fractured her radius. ....their idea was to quickly move her from a cast to a splint--but I don't remember her starting the first day that she was in a cast. . . .

Yes, she fractured the radius and it was an incomplete one - sort of like a bending of the bone. So it wasn't all that painful to begin with. Thanks for your experiences. I plan to call the dr. tomorrow.

Alison

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back