so proud of myself!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

kgymn

Gymnast
I've been working really hard on being less afraid of everything since I started back in gymnastics this summer (I'm 26)... it's been slow getting back my old skills and I'm still working on a bunch BUT I am insanely happy and proud of myself because I have been able to work on my handstand on beam!! I can easily do the level 5 dismount still, but the handstand and cartwheel I have been afraid to do for somewhere around 9 or ten YEARS now. I couldn't do them unless I absolutely had to, just a mental thing. But this makes two weeks in a row I have done them on the high beam. My coach says I'm about ten degrees from horizontal but right now I'm happy with just DOING them, at all, instead of standing on the beam like a nut for like ten minutes at a time thinking about doing them. Next week I might try a cartwheel.
I was also working on my squat on for bars this week, which is a new fear I developed when I came back to the gym! I became afraid of a lot of things apparently that I wasn't before, but every week is a step in the right direction!

~Katy

Congrats Katy, sounds like your hard work is really paying off. Fear is such a crazy head game - only be afraid of fear itself. Way to overcome it! :)

Thats really great Katy,

being an adult gymnast myself I completely understand just how much harder it is. I am so scared of everything, and I think thats because being adults we understand the risks alot more now.

I think you're absolutely amazing for being able to over-come that fear. I personally avoid the baby beat at all costs, I havent even thought about stepping onto a high beam.

When my class is on beam, I condition :)

Its so great you got back into gymnastics. Im glad to see im not the only oldie! Are you aiming to compete again?

P.s you are a great inspiration.

I'd like to compete but likely won't, our adult class is just a rec one. I am going to put together routines for myself though! Just for fun. I may start to work on the level 5 beam routine just cause I can hehe... my half turn is solid still, and the only thing I'm not sure I have anymore is the cartwheel.

It's funny we have the level 4/5 team practicing when we are, and this week I was finishing up on beam when they came over to it (as usual, we just use whatever the teams aren't on. They always get the good floor lately so I can't even work my tumbling but that's another story!) but so I did the dismount I had for level 5, same as it is now (side handstand twist off) and one of the girls looks at her teammate and goes "SHE can do a dismount but YOU can't?!?!" it was so mean of her to say to her teammate, but hilarious at the same time!

~Katy

Last edited:
I did it I tried my cartwheel! On the high beam even and my first foot event landed on the beam :) Didn't stay on but it was the trying that counted this time. Now that I can try them I will work on trying them more often so I can work on trying to do them *well*

The cartwheel on high beam was the last thing I did before class was over. But I also worked more on my handstands and doing them right! Fear of handstands is gone, for sure. Now I am conquering the mighty cartwheel and very happy.

~Katy

Way to go Katy - That is exciting. Glad you have the opportunity to work on it. Our gym does not have adult class, wish it did.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back