So what’s happening?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'd love to see the requirements for the Classic Challenge. With them naming the levels bronze, silver and gold it makes you think to the English existing Bronze/Silver/Gold but that is a very different competition entirely.
I think it's a little confusing. People refer to the English Novice Gold Silver and Bronze as just "The English". I have seen people putting on social media how they won a medal at the English, when they mean the English Novice. The English is a full fig national competition. It is a very much higher level. The English novice is completely different. And now the Classic Challenge has gold, silver and bronze too. But I am not sure if they are the same levels or not I haven't compared them.

I am very glad that the British qualification option remains but in a separate full fig competition. That works for me.

I've had that confusion too. My gymnast has done both the English Bronze/Silver/Gold and the English championships at very different stages in her gymnastics life. I'm just inherently curious and like to understand what the rules are for everything!

Those of you in the UK I saw about the month long lockdown. Lockdown means different things depending on the country your in. Are the gyms remaining open? Curious about the Middlesbrough area.

At the moment it appears that gyms will be closing, but elites will be allowed to continue to train. We are waiting for official clarification from BG.

No more than 2 families allowed to meet outside, although on the other hand they are supposedly saying outdoor exercise is recommended so who knows is the answer to training outside. Currently at 11degrees wet and windy there isn’t much they could do either. Mine has a broken finger across the growth plate so hasn’t been able to train for a couple of weeks (tumbling/DMT) so this just prolongs his time out☹️

That’s disheartening I’m sure. I wonder i

No more than 2 families allowed to meet outside, although on the other hand they are supposedly saying outdoor exercise is recommended so who knows is the answer to training outside. Currently at 11degrees wet and windy there isn’t much they could do either. Mine has a broken finger across the growth plate so hasn’t been able to train for a couple of weeks (tumbling/DMT) so this just prolongs his time out☹️
Only 2 people total if not from the same household. We have a small house an limited space so I think will be getting creative with the strength and flexibility work. Maybe some runs to build up some stamina?

I hope this gives him some good healing time. (Trying to find the positives in anything I can at the moment).

I think I read Scotland are allowing children's sport to continue so hopefully England might be the same.

As far as I know all closing. We’ve had notification today the centre will be shut down and back on zoom for the next month.

dd has trained about 6 weeks in total since March, those weeks on a modified schedule.

The BG email today says 'close' but we can't tell you officially until the politicians vote on Wednesday. Zoom in winter is no fun. Not everyone has the room to even do basic conditioning inside. We'll have fun adapting I'm sure...

I’ve just looked up the government advice on who is allowed to train-

For the purposes of this guidance the definition of an ‘elite athlete’ means a person who is:

• an individual who derives a living from competing in a sport
  • a senior representative nominated by a relevant sporting body
  • a member of the senior training squad for a relevant sporting body, or
  • aged 16 or above and on an elite development pathway.

Which will exclude junior elites, those on elite pathways etc. which is a shame as there’ll be a few who turned 16 this year and next who may have had a shot who won’t be allowed to train and will likely lose a lot of ground.

although there a loopholes - another sport but I know a 13 year old who has been/will be training all lockdown because the NGB has put them on a senior squad, while 14-16 year olds with international medals are stuck on zoom.

I’ve just looked up the government advice on who is allowed to train-

For the purposes of this guidance the definition of an ‘elite athlete’ means a person who is:

• an individual who derives a living from competing in a sport
  • a senior representative nominated by a relevant sporting body
  • a member of the senior training squad for a relevant sporting body, or
  • aged 16 or above and on an elite development pathway.

Which will exclude junior elites, those on elite pathways etc. which is a shame as there’ll be a few who turned 16 this year and next who may have had a shot who won’t be allowed to train and will likely lose a lot of ground.

although there a loopholes - another sport but I know a 13 year old who has been/will be training all lockdown because the NGB has put them on a senior squad, while 14-16 year olds with international medals are stuck on zoom.
Junior representatives nominated by BG are also now able to train.

I really feel for the ones who just missed out on being nominated. By the time the nominated ones have trained for an extra six months this year and the others have lost six months, that's an awful lot of ground to make up for them.

I really feel for the ones who just missed out on being nominated. By the time the nominated ones have trained for an extra six months this year and the others have lost six months, that's an awful lot of ground to make up for them.
I agree it is very difficult but I think BG are trying to show they are not abusing the priviledge given to elite sportspeople. I think they are worried if they relax the criteria, the floodgates will open with large numbers of clubs declaring their gymnasts 'elite' so they can keep training and that this will lead to a backlash and the possibility of all training being stopped again.

There are obviously gymnasts who have missed out who should really be able to train. I really feel for them.

Wow, the British Championships postponed for 2021! I hope at some stage things can get up and running again.

Do we think the grades will go ahead? A girl at our new club has been waiting to take compulsory 1...

And will the other grades happen? Or skip them again like last year? Gymnastics does seem more affected than some other sports - for most sports (certainly my old sport), missing a year of training age 12-15 wouldn't be the end of the world at all, when you peak at 25-30. But for gymnasts, they don't have so much time!

Wow, the British Championships postponed for 2021! I hope at some stage things can get up and running again.

Do we think the grades will go ahead? A girl at our new club has been waiting to take compulsory 1...

And will the other grades happen? Or skip them again like last year? Gymnastics does seem more affected than some other sports - for most sports (certainly my old sport), missing a year of training age 12-15 wouldn't be the end of the world at all, when you peak at 25-30. But for gymnasts, they don't have so much time!

Compulsory 2 and 1 are on the calendar for 5th/6th June 21 with a second chance 16th October.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back