So what are competitive speeds for the 20 meter and rope climb for an 8 year-old?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Most of the TOPs skills are pretty obvious in terms of what to shoot for, but what about the sprint and rope climb? I have an 8 year-old. thanks.

p.s. I know the cut-off vary from year to year, but in general, what should we shoot for?

I think all of the past averages and high scores are on the usag website under the TOPS section. You may want to check it out.

2011 Averages are not posted yet. But 8 yo averages For 2010 are as follow:

20 meter
State testing average - 3.60 sec., and national best also 3.60.
National level average - 3.31 and national best - 3.05.

Rope climb
state level average- 5.21; national best-2.31
national level 3.58; and national best-1.82.

You'd definitely try to aim for as close to the national best as possible. Note that in the past anywhere from 2,000 to 5,000 girls test on the state level (probably less now because of the added skills elements) and only about 300 make it to national testing. And then 50 make it to A camp and about 75 make it to B camp. Last year, about 2,800 girls tested and since 125 girls made the A and B teams, that equates to the top 4%. So, if you only hit the average, it is unlikely you will even qualify for national testing. It is my humble opnion that TOPS is a good goal and a fun, rather privileged experience. But it is not a necessity to succeed in the sport. It is great if you qualify, but if you don't, life goes on. Good luck to your daughter.

sorry but is that a rope climb done in 5.21 seconds and 2.31 seconds?I am very very very confused because i didn't think this was possible?

sorry but is that a rope climb done in 5.21 seconds and 2.31 seconds?I am very very very confused because i didn't think this was possible?

Yes, that is the time in seconds for 8 year olds but 7 & 8 year olds only climb to the 6 foot mark. 9 & 10 year olds climb to the 12 foot mark.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back