So what did Jana, Ivana and Corrie do in Beijing these past two weeks?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Were Jana, Ivana and Corrie allowed to watch their teammates during the olympics? I didn't see them at all during the telecasts. In the past olympics the alternates were allowed out in the arena and were able to cheer them on. Just wondering if the rules were changed regarding alternates this year.

I think they were staying in Tianjin (1 hr away) before the games started, then went back home once the games started and they weren't needed.

That's really weird because David Durante watched the guys! Poor alternates.... They didn't get any Olympic experience.

I think they were staying in Tianjin (1 hr away) before the games started, then went back home once the games started and they weren't needed.
Actually, they never did get to China. Even though their passport/visa issues were solved and they were going to be allowed to go to Tianjin, they ended up staying in Tokyo.

I think it's something like two hours before the team qualifier round that is the deadline for submitting your team roster. After that , no alternates are allowed to substitute-in.

So, they trained (or tried to train, away from their Olympic teammates) in Tokyo and went home to the US the day the team finals took place.

That is a shame that they couldn't even be there to watch and support the team.

What about the 2012 hopefuls? Were any of them sent out to watch?

Some of the top UK girls (who were too young to compete this year) were flown out to watch some of the competitions.

After the deadline to submit the final roster, the girls were released to their parents. I believe Corrie and her family watched the opening ceremony and maybe prelims? then headed off and did a couple days of volunteering at the orphanage Corrie was adopted from in China. They did some traveling, and I think they also went to the orphanage that her older sister was adopted from- not in China but somewhere in Asia. Not sure if all the details are 100% accurate but its close.:rolleyes:

Awww! That's awesome that Corrie was able to go back to her homeland where she was adopted from. I sometimes take dd to open gym at Hill's Gymnastics (Corrie's gym)! It's neat seeing pics of Dom Dawes and everyone there.

Awww! That's awesome that Corrie was able to go back to her homeland where she was adopted from. I sometimes take dd to open gym at Hill's Gymnastics (Corrie's gym)! It's neat seeing pics of Dom Dawes and everyone there.

I used to go to Hill's! Haha there really are pics of Dawes all over the place. It's a really nice gym. Haven't been there in awhile but I'm guessing that there's Kupets pictures all around now?

I think Ivana also went to the games with her family and then traveled in Asia. The only one I haven't heard anything about is Jana.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back