Parents Social media

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymmom826

Proud Parent
Would it bother you if coaches “like” and “comment” on other gymnasts’ posts but not your gymnast? Should anything be read into it or do you think it’s just making something out of nothing?

Hmm... I know Facebook is a total butt and is extremely inconsistent is what it shows. Sometimes I realize I haven't seen posts from good friends in months +. So I would first assume that they just weren't seeing your posts.

But I will say, our coaches at least give a *like* to every post they see of kid/parent on the team, I'm pretty sure. I don't know if it's because they really like us, or if they want Facebook to keep showing them our posts so they can know what's going on in the girls' lives or what. I will say the ONLY posts that I have noticed that get very obviously ignored are ones with bigger gymnastics skills outside the gym. Like one of a team girl doing multiple BHS in a row on the grass. Scores of comments, but glaring silence from a coach who always has something nice to say.

Would it bother you if coaches “like” and “comment” on other gymnasts’ posts but not your gymnast? Should anything be read into it or do you think it’s just making something out of nothing?
First, are you referring to your dd’s club coaches or are you referring to college coaches so really your question is about recruiting?

I’ll be honest, it would bother me. Then I would realize that it’s silly to let that bother me and spend a huge amount of time not letting it bother me. I’m kinda sensitive that that though.

Our coaches don’t follow their athletes on social media. I actually thought it was against safe sport policy because when DD and her friends were going through the safe sport training for their junior coaching summer jobs this was covered in their training (Even the athletes who are 18 are technically not supposed to follow their underage teammates).

Yes, it would bother me. I’m not saying it’s right or rational, but it would bother me. I also don’t like it when coaches only post certain kids. Unless it’s pretty awesome level 9/10 stuff.

This is an interesting question and it would bother me if it's constantly the same kid but also, at the end of the day, the coach may not even be seeing your athlete or your posts because of the social media algorithms that only have some posts appear, at least in Facebook. Sometimes the kid doesn't want to be videoed or posted on social too. It might annoy me but at the end of the day, pick your battles.

I wish that all coaches would be equally supportive of all of their gymnasts - be that with a simple 'like' or "Good job!" for each one, or with silence for all. Or that they would forgo social media connections to minors all together!

My girl has had coaches on all ends of the spectrum. It's unfortunately just one of those things that, you get what you get. There's no reason to let it bother you as you can not control or change it. If your kid likes the gym and getting good training, I'd step away from the social media (and teach her/him to do so as well) and perhaps celebrate your gymnast finding acceptance and joy in their own progress without looking for the approval of others. Which really is a wonderful life lesson <3

Is this with gymnasts who are old enough to have their own social media or is it with parents who mediate their gymnasts social media. It’s conflicting having a rule that does not allow coaches to interact with their gymnasts social media when there are plenty of randoms that can and do like posts. Especially when most gymnasts are at a younger age. And then when they are not as in at age gymnasts that scouts for colleges are able to follow them but the coaches who raise them are not

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back