Parents Sole circle/squat on

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

nycgymmom

Coach
Proud Parent
If someone attempts a squat on and doesn't fully completed but continues routine by doing sole circle is there a deduction?

We had a girl do it this weekend (lv 7) and she scored pretty well. Has done it before also. (I think this is maybe why you asked ;))

Does anyone feel the judges deduct assuming you were not successful with a squat or stoop on?

All of our level 5s learned the sole circle this year so they had a chance at recovering from a squat on gone wrong. We had one girl who used it once as a back up and scored well. Then she switched to doing it on purpose. I'm not a judge but I could tell the difference between the emergency sole circle and the purposeful one so I image there were some form deductions with the former.

We have a L6 that does it purposely instead of a squat on ;)
We had a girl in L5 do it consistently last year. Was better than her squat on, and it was fun to see something different. For whatever reason, it drove her (borderline CG) Mom, a former gymnast, up a wall. Mom really wanted the squat on.

If a failed cast to hand stand takes a deduction why wouldn't a failed squat on take a deduction. Just one of those things that makes gymnastics interesting.

If a failed cast to hand stand takes a deduction why wouldn't a failed squat on take a deduction. Just one of those things that makes gymnastics interesting.
Well, a cast to handstand is what it takes to not get any angle deduction (in JO Optionals since it is not required in compulsories). There are no angle deductions AND a sole circle is a listed skill in the code of points (and it is a NAMED option in place of the squat on at least for L5 Compulsories).
If the gymnast fails on the squat on and FALLS, it is a fall deduction (0.5) as opposed to a low cast (failed cast handstand) deduction of up to 0.3.
Hope that helps. :)

Well, a cast to handstand is what it takes to not get any angle deduction (in JO Optionals since it is not required in compulsories). There are no angle deductions AND a sole circle is a listed skill in the code of points (and it is a NAMED option in place of the squat on at least for L5 Compulsories).
If the gymnast fails on the squat on and FALLS, it is a fall deduction (0.5) as opposed to a low cast (failed cast handstand) deduction of up to 0.3.
Hope that helps. :)

That was all previously clear to me thanks for the reassurance.

As a previous posted stated its obvious when the athlete fails on the squat on and uses the sole circle. Personally it does not matter to me it is just one of those things that makes gymnastics interesting. Kind of like your post that there are options in compulsories. Another one of those things.

That was all previously clear to me thanks for the reassurance.

As a previous posted stated its obvious when the athlete fails on the squat on and uses the sole circle. Personally it does not matter to me it is just one of those things that makes gymnastics interesting. Kind of like your post that there are options in compulsories. Another one of those things.
Sometimes, it is obvious. In those cases, there is the rhythm deduction. Sometimes, it isn't obvious. We have a L5 that has started to fall backwards on her squat on in practice... when she turns it into a sole circle, it doesnt LOOK like she was falling on the squat on, but that she was planning on the sole circle the whole time because the movement is fluid.

Mine had one meet where the judge deducted on the sole circle because she felt the was going to fall on the squat on........it never happened besides that one meet.
For the most part it is used interchangeably.

Mine struggled with the squat on her level 6 year so her coach taught her the sole circle as backup. After that, she did not miss a squat on again and she usually scored well at meets with or without it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back