WAG Sole circle vs Cast underswing

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Are these compulsory girls? What level? I wasn't aware that any of the new routines allowed a choice of dismounts.

In Australia we have that choice.

our level 3's choose from the sole circle (we call it a toe shoot) or underswing off low bar. Our level 4's have the sae. Choices but it is done off high bar. Level 5 and 6 can opt to do the sole circle, or an underswing or a flyaway.

PYou tend to find around here that most choose the toe shoot. There are a few risks with the underswing, if the gymnast does mess it up it can look like a fall. I have seen girls do the underswing incorrectly and they then lose 1.0 for a fall as well as 0.3 for failing to attempt a dismount and the value of the skill doubled (2.0) for leaving out a core skill. That is a costly mistake.

This is based off the USAG 2013-2020 routines for level 2. We have a rec pre team that we are able to modify the routines for. I want all the girls to do the same routine so we need to decide between these 2 skills.

I have no idea of how hard either is. I know last year my older DD was AAU3. Her gym and most gyms in competitions did the sole circle; but there was one gym that did the underswing. It is my understanding that it was so uncommon for that to be used in competitions that one of the coaches had to pull out the rule book to show the judges because that team got dinged for not doing the sole circle (it was our old gym, so I was told this by some of my friends who's kids are still at that gym). I always thought the sole circle looked harder than the underswing; but I honestly know nothing about the difficulty of skills. ;) I know that this year as a USAG level 3 my daughter is doing the underswing and she just said that last year's dismount was much harder in her opinion.

I wouldn't choose one for everyone to do, to be honest. Most of our kids will do the sole circle because it is easier for lower level kids to understand. However, if I have any that can do the under swing better than the sole circle (flexibility issues come to mind...) I would hesitate to use that instead.

I am leaning toward competing the sole circle and using the underswing as supplementary work. I just think the underswing (as important as it is) just doesn't look as impressive for a dismount when back hip circle and basket swing are the other skills in the routine.

I'm having all of my level 2s compete the squat-on, sole circle. It's very hard for a kid that age to grasp an underswing without a back hip circle preceding it, let alone maintain the correct shape. We are still training underswings for "next year," but after playing with it for a month, we'll be competing the squat-on, sole circle dismount. Almost all of them have it after a month of training.

I'm having all of my level 2s compete the squat-on, sole circle. It's very hard for a kid that age to grasp an underswing without a back hip circle preceding it, let alone maintain the correct shape. We are still training underswings for "next year," but after playing with it for a month, we'll be competing the squat-on, sole circle dismount. Almost all of them have it after a month of training.
==
how old are they?

Most of our level 2's range from 7-12. I direct a rec "pre-team" at our gym so it's nice to use the routines and have some flexibility in the rules :)

But this has been an ongoing topic at our gym!

What do you guys think about competing the sole circle but evaluating the cast underswing??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back